1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet randomly dropping, only appears to be my PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dohhers, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dohhers

Dohhers Thread Starter

So i've been experiencing bizarre disconnects, which are random throughout the day, but usually occur multiple times around the same time, then nothing happens for hours. My internet just drops, but when I check my connection to the router, it's fine and working. I can simply go to my connection, via the taskbar, disconnect, then reconnect, and my internet will be back up again. But most times it shortly follows again, and again, and again.

Some days, I will not experience it once, some days, it'll happen like 2/3 times across the day, in groups of disconnects.
    I'm simply lost, my wireless adapter is fairly new; AC3100 Dual-Band PCIe - Wifi Adapter
    Purchased it maybe less than 3 months ago.

Any tips would be helpful!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Use an ethernet cable to connect to the router. If it works, it means the router is functioning, and networking in Windows is functioning. If it doesnt work, then we can follow up on the router as a maybe problem and Windows as a maybe problem.

3. Dohhers

Dohhers Thread Starter

I used an ethernet cable, tested for about 2 hours, and I experienced a drop in connection aswell, only issue is, we have two other PC's in the house, who haven't experience this problem, so I feel it's probably down to my PC or Windows

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check the amount of free space on drive C. Windows needs some free space to work properly. And if there isn't, all sorts of strange misbehavior occurs.

Open all the applications you normally open and keep Task Manager open. When the connection drops, note which application is using the most CPU in Task Manager's Processes tab. Maybe it might be a misbehaving application using too much CPU, which would in turn disrupt networking. You might have to do this over a day or two.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice