1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Randomly Drops and I Can't Reconnect to Wifi? W10

Discussion in 'Networking' started by InformalMantis, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InformalMantis

InformalMantis Thread Starter

Hey guys/gals!

This problem just recently started happening with my computer. I'll be playing a video game or surfing the web or whatever and all of a sudden my wifi connection will drop.

So I'll click the wifi symbol at the bottom right hand corner of the screen to reconnect... but even though it will say that there are connections when I hover over the icon, the list of possible connections will be blank.

I uploaded a screenshot to imgur so you can see for yourself: http://i.imgur.com/qAC5YX1.jpg

The only way for me to fix this problem is to system restore to a few days ago. But this is getting pretty tedious.

Help please?

2. InformalMantis

Sorry if this belongs in another forum! I'm new here; feel free to move this thread to wherever it would be more appropriate.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the PC
    have you checked to see if there is a W10 Wireless driver available for your adapter ?

4. InformalMantis

Thanks for replying! I have to leave for work in 30 minutes, I'll try to post as much as I can now though.

The "service tag" on my computer reads: CT9BS22. It's a dell XPS desktop computer. The manufacturing date is January 3rd, 2015. I bought it brand new in the Summer.

How do I check if there's a w10 wireless driver available for my adapter?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. InformalMantis

I pressed the auto detect button and this is what I got:
    XPS 8700
    Service Tag: CT9BS22 | Express Service Code: 27890573258

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. InformalMantis

I downloaded and installed the Dell Wireless 1703 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth3.0 Driver. I'll let you know if I still get the drops that require a system restore to fix!

9. merlin989901

merlin989901

First Name:
    Ryan
    failing that you could try to roll back the driver, i had this issue when my driver updated from manufacturer website and for some reason caused problems, so i rolled back the driver and all was fine again ;) good luck

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1159944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice