Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Running VERY Slowly - Details Inside

881 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hey guys... I really haven't had this problem before. My internet is very good - DSL. For the last 2 days, it's been running VERY slowly - it's been taking one minute or more to load every webpage. Downloads that have went 140kb/s are now going 500bytes - 2kb/s. My Google customized homepage takes 2 minutes to load :( I've run a spyware/adware scan, and it's still not working. I really don't recall doing anything that might have caused this.

I am running Windows XP.

I WOULD post a hijack this scan, but the download goes SO slow, and in the middle of the download I get the following error message:
---------------------
Internet Explorer cannot download hijackthis.zip from downloads.subratam.org [or other download source]

An unexpected error has occurred.
---------------------

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 ·
Have you checked with your ISP to see if they are experiencing problems? Noticed any static or hollowness or noise on the line when using the phone? Had any bad weather that may have soaked your underground phone line or blown a tree limb onto your pole mounted line?

Has your computer seemed slow on non-internet tasks?

Know anybody with a laptop who would connect to your DSL to see if it's a computer or DSL problem?

#3 ·
No, I have not checked with my ISP. I don't hear anything wrong with my phone line.

And no, my computer works perfectly with non-internet tasks.

And unfortunately, no, I don't know anyone with a laptop who could connect to my DSl :(

Is there any other way for me to get hijackthis on my computer? Maybe someone can put it on my hosting FTP account? I don't have another computer in the house, so I can't put it on a floppy disk and transfer it to my compouter.

Thanks for the help so far.

#4 ·
Have you restarted/powered off your modem and then back on again? If you haven't done that, it might do the trick.

Also, from the command prompt, try ipconfig /release, then, ipconfig /renew and or right click your connection icon and chose repair.

#5 ·
Interesting... I tried the command prompt stuff, and the internet seems to be going faster, yet not as fast as supposed to. Sites are loading faster, but downloads are still going a couple of kb/s.

Yes, I have tried turning on and off my modem.

Thanks for the help so far!

#8 ·
What bandwidth does your DSL advertize? In your first post you indicated that 140kbps download was fast, so 289kbps on the speed test sounds comparable.

You said yesterday that the internet speed had improved somewhat. I wouldn't rule out a computer problem, but certainly think you should make that call to your ISP tech support to see if they had/have problems. And, if you don't know, ask them what kind of results they think you should see in a speed test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.