1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Servers hosting issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Static319, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

Hello all, my request is this:
    When I play games, for example let's say, Warcraft3/Diablo 2, and when I try to create games, people cannot join them. However, when I try to join other people's games, it works fine and I'm able to connect. Yesterday my friend came over my house with his laptop, and we were going to play come WC3, but before doing that he had to find an internet connection to use.
    I have a DLink-524 wireless router that I use primarily to go online on my PSP. My friend tried to search for my internet connection and found it, but when he tried to use it, it said the connection failed, when it works 100% fine for my and his PSP. Can someone please help me make it so that people can connect to my server when i host games/servers?

Now, I called D-Link just now, and they told me I have to call Microsoft(what does Microsoft have to do with this?) to see which ports I need to open so that my internet connection or something can be shared, and other people can connect to me. I called Microsoft and they were of no help. I'm wondering, what do I do from here? I tried setting my internet connection from PPPoE to Dynamic/Static but something didnt work out right or maybe I didn't do something right. I'm in need of some serious help here. Thanks a lot for reading my issue.

2. Ablack86

Ablack86

3. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for that reply. My other question is, how come my other friends dont need to do the port forwarding, and they can still host servers with ease?

4. Ablack86

Ablack86

That could be for a number of reasons. They may not be using a router. They may be in a DMZ. The games they play may not require ports to be forwarded. They might be liars ;) lol j/k.
    But yeah, it could be any of a long list really...

5. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

I see, thanks. How do i find out what my static ip address is?

6. Ablack86

Ablack86

you probably have a dynamic one. What I personally would do, is give yourself a static address.
    The easiest way to do this, is goto start-run- and type CMD
    once there type: ipconfig
    You're looking what your current IP Address is.... also a default gateway it will look something like 192.168.0.3 keep the window open for the next step.
    Next goto your network connection (Under my network places) and open it up. Goto the properties section of TCP/IP. Once there change the settings from "Obtain IP Address Automatically" to whatever your new IP is. Also you will want to set your default gateway to whatever it is on the CMD line. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.
    Lastly, you may want to consider creating a Reservation for your MAC address on your router, so that NOBODY ELSE will get your IP. If DHCP addresses your Static IP to someone else while ur computer is off, you could have problems. In your router config gUI there should be an area to make a reservation for your comp. GL!

7. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

Thanks, but how do i find out what my new IP address is?

8. Ablack86

Ablack86

You want your new static IP to be the same as the one DHCP is assigning you right now. The only reason I'm reccomending this, is so that you do not staticly assign an IP that is already being used.

9. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

So I use the one that's next to IP Address....xxxxxxx in the CMD window?

10. Ablack86

Ablack86

whatevers next to IP{ address in CMD window, use in the TCP ip properties.
    Whatevers next to defgault gateway in cmd window use in TCP IP properties

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice