Internet service continuously dropping

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ehott223

Hello everyone. I have internet only service from Antietam Cable in Hagerstown, MD. We recently bought our home in April 2018 and they pulled new coax from the underground hookup branch and into our home. The internet worked well for around 8 months and then the cable company has had nothing but service problems ever since. It started around five months ago and they were experiencing outages all across our county and they said it was from a malicious attack to there network and that everything has been fixed since. Well We have been dropping out ever since here and there and recently it has been terrible if any connection at all. From the connection that pulled into the home it is connected to one of those screw in adapters that is grounded to the main home electrical ground. From there it is directly connected into our Netgear AC1750 which is the older model probably 5-6 years old. There is are no spliters or anything. The inside cable is a brand new 18awg rg6 quad shield coax. I called the ISP yesterday and they said our connection dropped 20 times in the last 24 hours. They said I have poor signal and noise on the line.

So I have done all the typical unplugging, removing the coax from modem, factory reset, and verified the connections are super tight. I also walked out to the ISP green box and lifted it and ensured all the fittings are tight, which they were. Yes, I know I shouldnt have done that. I then noticed the underground conduit ran to my house for my coax was filled with water. I am attaching two readings from the modem for your help(one is from yesterday with the 9 downstream channels and the other one is from today with the five downstream channels). We stream our TV through our internet and our home is smart home setup with plugs, bulbs, etc so we are really at a loss. Thank you!!

Attachments

FWIW, our Verizon FIOS 100/100Mbps in Severn, MD is $39.99/month (autopay).

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need to schedule a service call. I just did this with the Mediacom which is the ONLY service available at my vacation property. I wrote up a whole thread about this experience here. The summary was two fold. The RG6 line used for Internet service installed by one of the builder's contractors was bad introducing too much noise on the line. Fortunately, the contractor had the brains to pull two lines so we were able to use the second line which checked out good by the tech. The second problem was at the cable companies end where the TV block they put on my line was wet/submerged and was causing signal strength issues.

Until these fixes were done, the service quality kept getting worse and worse where I was dropping packets constantly which made even simple web browsing a challenge.

Couriant

James
"They said I have poor signal and noise on the line. " They said that and didn't send a tech out? Like zx10guy said, you will need them to send a tech out to inspect the lines to make sure it's not damaged / wet/submerged/ etc ...

Couriant

James
PM me and I'll tell you about something that will help you find and confirm the problems. I just don't want to post it in the forums and look like a spammer since I just joined.
There is no need to PM you. We have plenty of people to help and if you have advice, post it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online