1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet setting in registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by freddie, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freddie

freddie Thread Starter

I went into the registery and deleted everything that had the name Folder Guard because I had forgotten the password. Now that I have done that when I click on a desktop icon it want do anything and when I click on Start /Programs and try to open windows explorer I get this message 'c\windows\desktop\windows Explorer.Ink' refers to has been removed or is unaccessible" I have tryed rebooting holding down CTRL selecting COMMAND PROMPT ONLY and type "SCANREG /RESTORE" and restore registry it FIXED everything but it goes back to far and my internet want work when I got DSL road runner the technician had to go into the registry and delete the old setting and he fixed new ones. It seens that the only way I can fix this is to copy the registry setting for the Internet just the internet setting..go back to "SCANREG\RESTORE" and restore the registry and then delete the setting for the internet and put the copy that I made back in.
    I have tryed this put it dont work this is where I copyed the file from the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings
    .... It must be some where else do any one know where the files would be in the registry for all the internet setting ..Thanks

2. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi,
    Could you post back all you can remember on what the Road Runner repairmen did.......thanx

For your question, you have an option on selecting those dates in Scanreg /restore, choose a date that is recent, like 3 days ago, I think you picked one that is a month old or so, do that again keeping that in mind.

For the registry part, once you have arrived at "Internet Settings," the key which pertains to what your looking for is "connections." Your in the right place in USER. The other one to check is HKEY-Current Configuration follow the same path, but that won't help ya. But if your in a "restored" registry then these settings are all the ones that won't work. Go back to the registry that allowed you to connect to the internet.

Once your in "connections" look for your RoadRunner key, that is what he changed. If you could go back with scanreg /restore to the recent date that worked but the folders didn't, you could copy the roadrunner key there (export it) to the older registry date where you fixed the folders, but lost your internet connection.

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice