1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Sharing not working anymore

Discussion in 'Networking' started by squashed dog, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squashed dog

squashed dog Thread Starter

:(

hey all

I've been working for days on this problem but nothing is working...a week or so ago I decided to reinstall windows xp with sp1a because my computer was going really slow and I thought it might help...
    I'm the host computer on a 4 comp dsl/router network...the reinstallation went fine for me except my flatmates said they couldn't connect to the internet anymore but they could still get on the network...so I went into network properties and tried to tick the Internet Connection Sharing option to allow other users to connect through my comp but the error "An error occurred while internet connection sharing was being enabled...the specified service does not exist as an installed service"...so I browsed the net looking for solutions...I think I found one but I can't carry it out...I saw someone say that reinstalling service pack 1 would fix the problem...so I tried uninstalling it from add/remove programs section but it's not there so then I found my windows xp cd but my g/f 'cleaned' my room a few days ago and threw out the box with the reg key on it so I can't reinstall windows again unless there is a way to find the reg key I typed in is stored on my computer somewhere.........I also tried installing service pack 2 but my computer ran so slowly with it and the internet crashed for me when I tried opening it...also in services I made sure that ( telephony, application layer gateway service etc) were all started and automatic...my flatmates have been annoying me for days to fix it, please help!

2. coulterp

coulterp

If by this you mean the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) software bundled with Windows then you do NOT want to be trying to use it as you have a router. Routers and ICS on the same LAN clash.
    If you are indeed sharing your internet connection through a dsl modem/router that it is that and not any of the PCs that is a "host", and no re-installation of any one PC should affect the ability of an unrelated PC to get onto the internet through the router.
    So can you confirm you have something like:

internet --> dsl modem --> (WAN port) router (LAN ports) --> PCs

(the modem and router could be a combined device)

3. squashed dog

hey

yeah I'm connected through a 4mb blueyonder connection with a webstar modem which is hooked up with 2 network cards to my pc and a linksys 4 connection router

4. coulterp

coulterp

Still not clear - reads to me like the webstar modem is wired to a pc and the router. The modem should have *no* PCs directly attached to it all.
    The most usual configuration is that PCs only be attached to the router and the modems only connection is to the router and the blueyonder access point.

5. squashed dog

hey again

we got a technician in when we set up the network over a year ago...the modem is connected to my pc through my first network card...my second network card goes to one of the numbered ports...it's all set up right, I can see all their shared files over the network I just can't enable their internet

I just tried reinstalling sp1a like I heard helped but I still have the problem :(

sorry for being unclear but I'm a comp noob

6. coulterp

coulterp

OK. Then the first PC with the two NICs is set up right if you are using ICS to share the internet connection.

The thing is that if you have now got a router you don't need that configuration on the first PC to share the internet connection, you can do that with the router (in fact as I said earlier using ICS and a router together is a guarantee for difficulties). Indeed you could lose the second NIC on the PC as it would be excess to requirements.

Could you just confirm the make/model of the modem and of the router.

I don't believe fiddling with your XP installation is going to cure the problem; you need the networking kit sorted first!

7. squashed dog

hey man, thanks for your help

I went to pcworld and they suggested the only thing I do was reset the computer back to factory settings, so I did that then installed xp and everything is now fixed again :) although sometimes when I disconnect the modem, when I plug it in again the ip address doesn't get assigned by dhcp but instead by private network or something like that then I have to do a system restore to get it working again...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice