1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Sharing Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FuriousTheGreek, Oct 20, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. FuriousTheGreek

FuriousTheGreek Thread Starter

Hello!

So, i have recently bought a new desktop (windows 10), and to make it accessible to the internet, i tried to share my old laptop's (windows 8) wifi connection, via an ethernet cable connected with my desktop (my router is actually far from where i have installed my desktop).

In the beggining, after a short period of not working, i tried to uncheck and check the wifi's "Sharing" option multiple times, hoping to be just a bug, and suddenly it started functioning for more than 2 weeks... Yesterday, without a specific reason, it suddenly stopped functioning...

The check-uncheck method didn't change a thing, one of my friends, having a pc engineering degree, told me to put the ipv4 configuration (and dns also) to automatic, to all of my adaptors (wifi and ethernet), but this had no effect. I ran the windows trouble program, and it said that my ethernet adapter had wrong ip configuration...

Later on, i tried the ipconfig/release,renew,flushdns and it actually made my pc accessible to network but unable to connect to the internet (dns error), and trying to solve that problem with the registerdns command, i returned to the initial problem of the previous paragraph...

I will surely buy a new wifi adapter to put in my desktop in the close future, but can you please help me to find a solution in this matter? Thank you very much in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless you have a real need to isolate the desktop from the rest of your network I suggest that you forget about the sharing option. Get out of that, set "everything" to dynamic (Dhcp), go into Network Connections on the laptop, select the wireless and ethernet connections, and right click on one of them and select 'Bridge connections.'

3. FuriousTheGreek

FuriousTheGreek Thread Starter

Oh yeah, i forgot about that, i tried bridging the two connections also, but it didnt work....

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "didnt work" means that the desktop was assigned the same IP address as the laptop it is a router bug. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. If that still results in duplicate IP then you either will need a new router or use a static IP address on the desktop.

If "didn't work" means something else I have no clue what you mean nor, of course, any fix.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice