1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet slow after reinstall of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wish_IT, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wish_IT

wish_IT Thread Starter

May 2, 2010
    Alright, so I just moved from the RC to Windows 7 Professional. I did a complete reinstall, and after having some annoying issues where the computer couldn't find my wireless card, I'm now successfully connected to the internet.

However, now my internet speeds are abysmal! I tried updating the driver for my wireless card, and I know it's not a problem with my ISP or router or modem, because my other computer (a laptop) is working just fine.

Can you guys suggest anything that I can check or update to get things back to normal?

This is very confusing because I had no problems last time I did this, and the computer is essentially a blank slate... no firewalls to mess things up, no viruses... I'm totally lost. Thanks for your help in advance!
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Mar 23, 2005
    Make sure you have the latest correct chipset and network drivers. If no Windows 7 driver exists use the Vista one. I assume you are letting Windows or Device Manager find drivers. That often works, but when you are having trouble like this ...

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920695