1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Slow / Disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bjohnston29, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bjohnston29

bjohnston29 Thread Starter

Hey,
    I have Verizon DSL rated for 1Mbps. Lately, when someone hangs up the phone in our house, the internet shuts off, and after about 15 seconds, it reconnects. After this disconnect my internet speed is slowed to 300kbps, and will not speed back up unless the modem is reset. I already called Verizon two times and both times they fixed the problem... till I hung up. They had me reset the modem both times. I have filters on all phones in the house. This just started 2-3 weeks ago, and have had the internet for over a year.

2. iamdumbonnetwork

iamdumbonnetwork

u might have a bad or loose filter, you modem could be malfunctioning verison should have helped u better. u might need a tech to check out your problem. i know it costs $$$ but if your phone lines are bad or weak might be another problem your telephone might even be causeing your problem. if it quit now something is different whether u caused it or not. hope this helps you.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If this is happening just with "the phone in our house" it sure sounds like a defective filter.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utilitiy connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand. The splitter I've used in the past is the Wilcom PS-36, it's good for any DSL/ADSL service worldwide.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice