1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet slowing when MacBook is active

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by beansock, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beansock

beansock Thread Starter

I Live in a house of 6 people. We have 5 laptop computers 1 desktop two iPhones and a kindle so sometimes the router can become congested.

Myself, my brother and my sister all run windows on our laptops and I run it on my desktop.
    My dad and other sister have Macbooks, my sister running the latest version purchased around 2months ago with the latest airport software drivers.

The problem is that the internet can be running fine with as many people online, but as soon as my sister(on the macbook) begins to stream videos from YouTube or any other website there is a huge surge in lag bringing the entire network near enough to a standstill. This also happens when only two computers are actively on the internet including the mac, so it is not necessarily an issue of there being too many users online as it can work fine with two on who aren't using said laptop.
    If any other member of the network attempts to buffer videos at any other time then the network is not slowed.
    It seems that for the rest of us if we try to buffer we will have to wait ourselves whereas for the mac the buffering is a lot faster but uses the entire network bandwidth apparently. Is this some sort of greedy Mac programming?

The router is a Netgear dg834gt with the lastest Sky firmware.

I am currently using a belkin Surf N150 adapter and connecting to the internet fine but if my sister decides to go on youtube then the internet will be so slow that firefox will give me the problem loading page message when I time out.
    I for one believe in a liberal spread of internet throughout the home and have enough problems when others are downloading large files without video buffering, something which is so common nowadays, pretty much breaking the internet.
    Any suggestions/ideas as to what might be causing this and if there is a firmware update for the router or a patch that my sister should install to correct this problem?

Cheers
    Fraser

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sure sounds like a Mac networking issue, but I have no experience with them. If you don't get another reply here in 24 hours be sure to reply with 'bump.' If another day goes by w/o help I suggest you click on Report and ask for this thread to be moved to the Apple MacOS forum.

3. beansock

beansock Thread Starter

Alright well I'll do that and I guess this can count as the bump

4. Headrush

Headrush

I've read lots of reports of issues with this router and Macs.

Are you using the latest firmware? Many reports said upgrading to newest version fixed the issue.

Is your router set for 802.11b/g or 802.11g only?

5. beansock

beansock Thread Starter

It's in WPA-PSK setting if that means anything, the box with 802.1x isn't checked so I'm not sure which setting it is in do you know how I could check?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    802.1x has to do with authentication and you do NOT want it selected. Often the setting to which Headrush refers is called "Wireless Mode" and the various options are none, b only, g only, b/g, etc.

7. beansock

beansock Thread Starter

Thanks for that, it's in "g & b" in that case with options to change to "g" and "auto 108mbps"

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Until Headrush comes back with more advice I'd try the 'g' only for awhile.

9. Headrush

Headrush

I just reread your original post and I'm bit confused.

You mentioned both a Netgear dg834gt and a belkin Surf N150.

So which computers are connecting to which router?
    Are just the Macs connecting to the just the slower Netgear?
    How are they arranged in your LAN topology?

Is your sister using Firefox, Chrome, Opera of Safari?
    On youtube she could be feed different streams which would account for the difference in buffering and bandwidth usage.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good catch, Headrush! When I read "Surf N150 adapter" I just assumed he meant "adapter." :(

11. beansock

beansock Thread Starter

The netgear is the router, the surf150 is the dongle which I'm using on the windows desktop, should have been more specific about that sorry. My sister uses safari but has tried with mozilla and the problem persists, she's using the standard built in airport on a macbook. All computers in the house are connected to the single router wirelessly and I'm not sure what a topology is but I doubt if it needs any configuring that we have one.

12. Headrush

Headrush

So all wireless clients are connected to the router? (and basically that is topology, how you network is arranged)

The surf150 if on the windows machine really has nothing to do with the issue and is just extraneous information unless you are connected the macbook to it through internet sharing which I doubt you are.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!