Solved internet sometimes freezes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MuoLiHuaCha

Hi,
A few days ago my internet started to behave weird, when I'm using browsing, my internet sometimes freezes for a few seconds. When it freezes my browser will say there is no internet or DNS address cannot be found. When I'm playing games it is very annoying, my game will stop and disconnect and my internet isn't even disconnected. I'm connected to the internet by Ethernet, and when my internet freezes, I'm still "connected" to the internet.
I've already tried a lot, I've reset my router, reinstalled Windows, checked my hardware, scanned for viruses and malware. I've also pinged my internet and there were no issues.
My computer specs are:
Intel i5 4790k
MSI gaming 5 motherboard
MSI gtx 970
Crucial MX100 SSD (boot drive)
Seagate 1TB HDD
TP-LINK TG-3468 network card

I've installed Windows 8.1 64-bit

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
It's likely an ISP issue and not a computer issue. Start with your ISP and see if they can find any issues.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
It's likely an ISP issue and not a computer issue. Start with your ISP and see if they can find any issues.
Like I said above..."Start with your ISP and see if they can find any issues"

You need to make sure that everything is correct from the ISP's end before doing a lot of possibly unnecessary troubleshooting on your end.

MuoLiHuaCha

Like I said above..."Start with your ISP and see if they can find any issues"

You need to make sure that everything is correct from the ISP's end before doing a lot of possibly unnecessary troubleshooting on your end.
I've checked my ISP and it worked fine and I've also reset my router to standard settings. These internet freezes now occur less, but I still want this problem solved.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Do you have a wireless router that's separate from your modem? Or is it an AIO unit?

Have you tried using internet but Ethernet to see if it's still problematic?

MuoLiHuaCha

Do you have a wireless router that's separate from your modem? Or is it an AIO unit?

Have you tried using internet but Ethernet to see if it's still problematic?
My router is a AIO unit and I still have the problem with wifi. But the thing that's strange is that my other computer has the same problem with ethernet.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
I would replace the Wireless Gateway with a new one and see if the issue persists.

MuoLiHuaCha

The problem is solved, my modem was already old and has some hardware issues. My ISP said it needs to be replaced, so they're sending me a replacement tomorrow.
Thanks anyway for your help!

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Good. Like I said it was likely a modem issue. I used to work for Comcast as a Tech Support Agent and we would have people call in sometimes and say been having issues for years with poor internet connectivity. I would 50% of the time have to recommend replacement of ancient modems that had never been replaced before. It happens. Glad you got it sorted.

By the way, If they actually send out a technician, have him check your SNR and line integrity with his scanner as well to make sure the lines are good as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online