1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Speed/Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JJP, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJP

JJP Thread Starter

There has been an issue plaguing my internet connection for about two weeks now. The problem began when I opened a web browser (such as IE7 or Firefox) and it took forever to connect to any website. Usually, the lower left of the status bar, it will say "Connecting to (insert url here)" Instead it states that it is connecting to that url's I.P.

I know that is normal, but it is an example of the "lag" that it takes to connect since the connecting to IP message is quickly replaced by connecting to url. Usually, refreshing the page multiple times "wakes up" the connection and then it runs fine until it goes idle again. Another problem is that is randomly disconnects. I either have to go through Network Magic (which I use to manage my home network) or go through the repair connection tool built into Windows to get it to reconnect.

As far as my network goes, I have an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3 hard wired into my router as well as my PC. Wirelessly I have a Compaq in another room and a Nintendo Wii The model that I am using is the Westell 327W. It is a 4 Port Wireless Router with a DSL Modem built into it.

I turned off my firewall/antivirus to see if it was blocking any incoming or outgoing ports and the problem persisted. I also ran a spyware and antivirus scan and came back with a clean bill of health (which even surprised me).

So the next step I did to diagnose the problem was that I checked the power management settings on the network card and found that it was not set to turn off on idle. I then went into my DSL Modem and noticed that the software for the modem was out of date. I updated, restarted the modem and still had the same problem.

I also did a hard reset on the modem by unplugging it overnight then reconnecting it in the morning, still the problem persisted. I then checked the drivers for my network port and searched my motherboard’s update page (since it is on board LAN) and saw my drivers were up to date.

I started to think it wasn't my PC. So I turned it off and started up my Xbox 360. I left Xbox Live on idle, and sure enough, it disconnected. I also bought a Playstation 3 recently, tried to perform their registration method (while the PC was off) and got disconnected as well.

So I called my ISP (Which is Bell South). They blamed the problem on my Xbox being too close to my router despite the fact that my Xbox has been next to my router for well over a year, and I only had this problem for 2 weeks. The tech said he reset my port on their end and claimed the problem was fixed, which, it wasn't.

I had a previous problem with noise over my phone lines, which Bell South came out to fix. The lines seem clear now, but I'm starting to wonder if the lines may still have a problem in them. Of course, that problem was supposedly resolved well over 6 months ago and had been running fine until the aforementioned 2 weeks ago.

So I'm here to see if there is anything I may be missing, or not thinking of, or if the issue is on their end. If so, what would be the recommended issue to address to them? Someone suggested I was having difficulty receiving packets. It sounds logical to me, but I’d like to make sure before I call Bell South up again and not get the issue fixed.

If you wish, here are my system specs.

Asus A8V motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 2.4 GHz
    3072MB PC3200 Dual Channel RAM
    ATI X850 XT Graphics Card
    Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM running Windows XP Professional SP2
    Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM for data storage

Also, to be on the safe side, I ran a Hijack This! log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 3:37:07 PM, on 12/13/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\KWorld Multimedia\PVR-TV 883 Utilities\C8XRCtl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\docs\wrapper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\docs\jre\bin\java.exe
    C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmsrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Josh\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ewplanet.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Version Cue CS2] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Remote Control.lnk = C:\Program Files\KWorld Multimedia\PVR-TV 883 Utilities\C8XRCtl.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://help.bellsouth.net/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
    O18 - Protocol: pure-go - {4746C79A-2042-4332-8650-48966E44ABA8} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\puresp3.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS2 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe" -win32service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Alias Maya 5.0 PLE Help Server (Maya5PLEHelpServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AliasWavefront\Maya 5.0 Personal Learning Edition\docs\Wrapper.exe" -s "C:\Program Files\AliasWavefront\Maya 5.0 Personal Learning Edition\docs/Wrapper.conf (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Maya 7.0 Documentation Server (maya70docserver) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\docs\wrapper.exe" -s "C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\docs\Wrapper.conf (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Net2Go Service (nmraapache) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\WebServer\bin\nmraapache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Network Magic Service (nmservice) - Pure Networks, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmsrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

thank you in advance for any time and assistance

-josh

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice