1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Speed Dramatically Slowed Down

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alkamos, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alkamos

Alkamos Thread Starter

My original internet speed for the past 3 years has been up to 320 kbps. But in the past 5-6 months, my internet speed has gone down to only 80-85 kbps. I have not really bothered to look at the problem until now. My ISP is SBC, modem is a Speedstream 5100, and my wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G2. I turned off all firewalls, scanned for viruses with AVG 9.0, scanned for spyware, and defragged my hard drive with Defraggler. Another thing that caught my attention is that all programs that use internet cannot even connect to the servers. For example, iTunes cannot connect to the iTunes store. And that AVG cannot connect to the updating servers. Even my World of Warcraft updater cannot connect to the patch servers. But the interesting part is that I am still able to use the internet on Firefox and still play on World of Warcraft.
    So basically my internet speed has mysteriously gone down. And that most of my programs are suddenly unable to connect to the internet. Anyone know a possible fix to this? Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are lots of fixes, but it's impossible to know which will work without knowing the cause(s) of your problems. My best guess is malware.

Have you checked both wireless and ethernet and get the same problems regardless of type of connection? Do you get the same speed with a connection directly to the Speedstream? Are there any other computers on the network? If so, do they have any of the same problems?

Check Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections tab - LAN Settings... - none of the 3 choices on that page should be selected.

3. Alkamos

Alkamos Thread Starter

Our home has a laptop which I am using and a desktop, and both get the same speed. Both systems have been checked for viruses, malware, etc.

& I have checked the LAN Settings and none of them are selected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice