1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet speed extremely slow - Restart fixes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by scorwitz, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scorwitz

scorwitz Thread Starter

Hello,

A couple of times in the last few days my internet speed has gone WAY down. I mean like .02 Mbps down and barely anything up, where I should be getting 9 Mbps down and .5 up.

The first time, I was on my wireless network, so I tried unplugging everything and pluggin back in, but it didn't work. I connected directly to the modem. Worked fine, so I ditched the wireless and am currently wired.

Today had the same issue all of a sudden and noticed that Mozy was backing up. Though it usually doesn't slow things that much, I stopped the backup but the problem didn't go away. I've been checking my Processes and can't tell if anything is acting strange.

Is this a symptom of a virus or malware? A restart seems to have fixed things for now. Is there any program that anyone could recommend that would let me monitor what programs are using my network at a given time?

Thank you!

2. lazybear

lazybear

Have you tried running any anti-virus programs or anti-malware/spyware programs?

3. scorwitz

scorwitz Thread Starter

Yes, I have. I have ESET NOD32 and ran a full scan. Nothing turned up.

4. lazybear

lazybear

It sounds to me like you have some sort of spyware or possibly a trojan running.
    Try running Malwarebytes
    and
    Ad-aware

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    scorwitz:

Go here and click the green icon to download and save HijackThis 2.0.2.

Close all open windows first, then install it in its default location: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.

Start it, then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished and the log file appears, save it.

Return here, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice