1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Speed Inquiry

Discussion in 'Networking' started by applepi, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applepi

applepi Thread Starter

I am wondering what download speeds I should be getting for my DSL if its status says it's connection speed is 400 mbps. Supposedly my service is 1.5 mbps, I use AT&T High Speed Internet. However speed tests say it is 1.3 mbps. The download speeds I am getting are 150-160 kilobytes per second. Are those right or should they be something different. I thought I should get download speeds of about at least 1 megabyte. Is there something I need to do to get my downloads speeds as fast as it should be, if I am suppose to have a faster download speed that is. I did some searching about this and could it be that the cables I am using to connect my internet to my PC are limiting the speed that I get and if I get a cable that can hold more speed, my download speed will be larger? Like hypothetically if I use FireWire to connect my modem, will I get 1.5mbps download speeds, if my service is suppose to be that fast. Or is my modem not right for handling a faster service. I think the modem I am using at the moment is for the basic service I had at first which gave me 150kbs download speeds. I upgraded to a faster service package (Express or something), but my download speed hadn't changed. It has been at least a year or more, but I haven't done anything about it until now.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Forget about the connection speed, that's just what the local NIC is seeing. Your service of 1.5mbit is doing fine if you're actually measuring 1.3mbit. 1.5mbit service will typically yield about 170-180kbyte/sec downloads. I have 15mbit service, and the fastest downloads I've ever seen are 1.9mbyte/sec. I don't see anything wrong here.

If you want more detailed analysis, try this.

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice