1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet speed is being capped at 10 mbps

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crunch210, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crunch210

Crunch210 Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my internet from 25 mbps to 100, while I thought getting 9.5 was always normal for that speed, after the upgrade it is still sitting at the same speed. My other devices in the house are getting at least 70 mb/s via wifi while I have a hardwired connection. I've done everything I can think of, downloading newest drivers, calling my ISP, trying different modems cords connection types or devices. Nothing has made any change, there is no change in speed between wifi and hardwired eiher, they both cap at 9.52 mb/s. I'm currently updating to windows 10, and am on a different device, but in a few hours I will post again with system specs and the requested log.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you have a DOCSIS 3 modem? The older models are DOCSIS 2.

Have you replaced your router?

It would help if you posted both the brand and exact model of modem and router.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't describe that computer nor the network (ethernet and wireless) devices in it.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your computer's ethernet adapter only 10 Mbps or set to that instead of 'auto negotiate'?

5. golddust

golddust

Once you get that issue fixed, you need to look into upgrading network cards on your computers (desktops). A 100 mbps connection requires a gigabit network card for you to actually get that speed. I was surprised to find out this myself. An ISP tech gave a talk at my computer club so that is where I'm getting this info. When you double your internet speed connection your network card should not be lower than that number. For instance, in order to get 60 mbps a 10/100 card is not enough since 60x2 is 120. You'll get pretty close just not the full speed. If you only have laptops, you're tossing your money away since updating them may not be possible. Some laptops come with gigabit network cards however. I had an Acer for several years that had one.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Where do you get 60x2 from? A 60Mbps connection is 60Mbs not 60x2 and Ethernet is full duplex.

A 100Mbps internet connection likely fluctuates and is generally "up to" not "always" and rarely runs at the full 100Mbits, a 10/100 Ethernet card is generally just fine 100Mbit service unless it's ancient, really poor quality, or faulty.

To the O/P, if both wired and wireless get the same poor speed I would suspect a software issue. I wouldn't be quick to blame the modem or router since you say other devices are fine. Did you disconnect the network cable before testing the wireless? Windows will continue to use the Ethernet if you left it connected.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    He's a first-time poster and hasn't replied back in 3 days, so our replies may be all for nothing.

------------------------------------------------------------

8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with you, Rob. Not to pick on you golddust, but your statements about needing a 1 GigE NIC to support full 100 Mb connectivity is just wrong. The "x2" you're referring to and am probably confusing is the discussion about half and full duplex and it's not a given any WAN technology is going to support full duplex. Even if an ISP circuit can support full duplexing, any recent 100 Mbit NIC (even going back several years) will support full duplex operation.

9. golddust

golddust

As I mentioned in my post this information came from an internet service provider techie (BrightHouse Networks formerly owned by Time Warner). He gave us this information at a lecture he gave at our computer club. We found that our 150 mbps hits that speed most of the time with the gigabit cards. So his information is dead on. Previous to our speed upgrade we had a speed of 90 mbps that never actually hit that speed (before the network card upgrades). Considering his expertise and the results we've seen, I have to agree that he knows what he is talking about. Lesson learned?

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you are relaying your information exactly as this ISP techie stated to you, it's no wonder Internet connectivity in this country is a joke compared to other countries. Based on what you've posted about your setup without more details, your improvements could easily result from poor drivers, terrible chip design on the NIC, or the mere fact the NIC you were using is an onboard NIC dealing with bus contention on the south bridge controller.

I still say the information your expert and you are putting is flat out wrong. And since we're throwing credibility credentials around, my background/experience encompasses large network deployments where I deployed over a $1-2 million infrastructure across three continents while maintaining full user connectivity during this hardware roll out. If you also take a look at my photo gallery, you'll see pictures of my home network/lab running 100 Mbit, 1 GigE, 10 GigE, and 40 GigE.

11. golddust

golddust

Well as I said, I'm not only going by what he told us, but by the results.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice