1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet speed is very slow on wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Midnitewolfy, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Midnitewolfy

Midnitewolfy Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

So I've always had a slow internet speed, about 6-15mbps. I pay for 300mbps (big family) but I honestly thought it was my cheap cat5 cable. Then i upgraded my whole computer. That is: a new ssd drive, mobo, cpu, ram and windows 10 fresh install. I still had slow speed. This morning i thought i fixed it, I bought a Netgear Nighthawk X4 ultimate gaming router AND a new Rosewill ac1900PCE internal card for my computer, both at high high speeds. But still.. out of 6 people living in this house, everyones computers get 200-300mbps and i get 20. I thought, maybe its just my wireless signal, but when i'm sitting at my desk, my cellphone gets 250 on the wifi network... so it has to be something in my pc. Can anyone please help?

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    A dumb question here possibly....but your desktop is connected to the 5ghz band, correct?

3. Midnitewolfy

Yes, I'm using the 5ghz band. Yesterday I found I get better speed on 2.4 somehow, about 70mbps but nowhere close to what I should be getting

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well 70 Mbps is Max for 2.4ghz. you would need to use 5ghz to go faster. Try uninstalling the wireless adapter from the device manager and seeing if Windows can install a generic driver and then test the speeds again, after a reboot.

5. Midnitewolfy

I tried this but windows couldn't find the driver automatically. I have a Rosewill RNX-AC1900PCE card; AC1900 wireless dual band pci-express adapter. It claims to have 1900 Mbps. It says specifically:
    "2.4 Ghz 50 Mbps + 5.0 Ghz 1300 Mbps Dual Band connections for lag-free HD video streaming and gaming."

I can't say i'm sure how it advertises a speed that combines two networks together when i can only connect one at a time... but thats what it said when I bought it. Assuming its correct, getting 300Mbps on the 2.4 Ghz should be possible because its just half of what it can handle (600) unless its tricky wording.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please explain. I've always thought, and all the information I've found searching the web for the past 10 minutes or so supports, that 802.11n could reach actual data throughput of about half the nominal (theoretical) bandwidth. So, 150 Mbps 'n' actual data max. about 75 Mbps; 300 Mbps 'n' actual data max. about 150 Mbps; and 600 Mbps 'n' actual data max. about 300 Mbps.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Terry, I have NEVER EVER gotten more than 50ish on a 2.4ghz network. That's having top of the line equipment.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I got 74.6 Mbps on my iPhone this morning (I use 2.4 on it because the 5 GHz does not give me decent service in my bedroom). I think that was about all I was getting from my ISP, as my laptop using the 5 GHz network got 75.6 minutes later.

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    That's a new one for me. I have never seen that before.

10. Midnitewolfy

Even when I plug in the cat 5 that i still have wired through the house, its max is 120 mbps, but the computer in the room next to me is 305. Thats why i'm convinced it has to be a setting on my computer, some kind of settings with the adapter. I've tried rearranging the antenna and moving the router upstairs a little, on wireless i'm getting 120mbps which is the best i've gotten so far, on the 5ghz network
    but would anyone recommend setting changes? I know that when i go to the wireless adapter properties, theres a ton of settings there for mixed modes, beamforming, antenna diversity, cell support, power output and like 15 other things i have no idea what it does

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well if you're using Cat5 that's going to limit tour speed to <100mbps anyway. Cat5e is MINIMUM for 100+ I would recommend Cat6 for a quality 100mbps+ connection. Try and see if you're using cat 6 on the other computer that is getting 305.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice