1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Speed Isn't What It Should Be

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TG7187, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

I have a HP p6837c desktop computer and I'm not able to reach 100 MBPS on that computer. I've tried a new wireless adapter that has 5G. I've also hardwired the computer with a cable modem. I'm reaching only about 30 MBPS, sometimes 40. My internet service is 100MBPS and I'm able to reach that speed on my other desktop.

Should I try a new network card? I'm wondering if the computer, being 8 years old, is simply not capable of reaching 100 MBPS.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

A SATA hard drive is capable of doing 300MBPS, so it is well within the capability of even your old machine.

What other programs do you have that uses internet?

3. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

I thought that I used to get faster speeds -- upwards of 100 MBPS but I never had an issue until recently.

This computer recently had an SSD installed and I did a re-installation of Windows 10. There is nothing on the computer that would drag the internet speed down.

Are there settings on my computer that I would need to change in order to reach higher speeds? It's really strange that neither my wireless adapter nor the cable modem are able to reach speeds greater than 40 MBPS.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion p6837c Desktop PC (support site)
    That HP model desktop was introduced in April 2011 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

It has a Realtek RTL8105E 10/100 Mbps integrated ethernet device.
    Do you have it set on "100 Mbps/Full Duplex" instead of on Auto/Auto Negotiation?
    You might consider installing a gigabit speed ethernet card to replace its older slower integrated ethernet device.

What's the description of your wireless adapter?

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to go into the Device Manager and open the properties window for that ethernet device.
    The settings are probably listed in the advanced section.

I've had very good success with maintaining rated wireless speeds by using the Netis WF2190 dual band wireless adapter.
    Its extender cable and cradle allows you to position it where it's out of the way and can get a clear signal.
    I just recently purchased 2 more from Newegg for my other desktops.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

I changed the setting to the one suggested. Restarted the computer and I’m still getting 37 Mbps.

Anything else I can check or change?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Without being to see your computer system and modem/router, I really don't know what else to advise you, other than what I suggested in post #4, line #5.

Have you discussed your ethernet/wireless speed issue with your Internet Service Provider?

9. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

I did. They are at a loss as well. No help at all when I contacted them.

Should I try a new network card?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Since your computer has an older 10/100 Mbps 10-base-T integrated ethernet device, I would switch to a dedicated network card.

Its motherboard has 3 PCI Express x1(PCIe x1) slots, so make sure to get a gigabit speed model that fits in that type slot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. TG7187

TG7187 Thread Starter

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations?

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    THIS Intel gigabit ethernet card has worked well for me. (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice