1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Speed issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by capodo, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capodo

capodo Thread Starter

Welcome and well met!

Here's my computer laptop specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor L310, AMD64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3836 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 226080 MB, Free - 161255 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 5534
    Antivirus: None

I have internet service from excede by wildblue (satellite with a cable modem). It's supposed to be up to 12Mbps. Average I'm getting is around 4 - 7Mbps according to speedtest.net. The site also says I'm accessing the net from Stanton, MI. I happen to live just north of Chicago, IL.

Share the internet with my sister who has an older desktop (2007 with Windows XP on it).

Last weekend I bought a new router from MicroCenter. A Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR3700v4). Both my laptop and my sister's desktop are plugged in to it. Hasn't helped from what I can see.

I use IE9 for my browser. I've tried Firefox and Chrome and didn't find either of them any faster than this.

Can anyone tell me why my speed is so bad? Is it my desktop? Maybe my cat 5e cable is old?

My biggest gripe right now is that watching videos STINKS online. Also, I enjoy playing certain Facebook games like Journeys of Jesus and Disney Ghost of Mystwood. They're horribly slow to load.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions of what could be causing the slow-down?

Thank you!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That is not a bad speed at all. The advertized speed is the maximum, rarely achieved in real situations. The location of your internet connection is where WildBlue's servers connect you to the internet.

Not sure what to say about your video problem except that when I had a 2 mbps connection, I watched YouTube without many delays. A lower quality feed may help.

3. capodo

capodo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Elvandil. Then if my internet isn't the issue - why am I having such issue with simply Facebook games?! It's truly frustrating me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice