1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet speed issues on one pc (Home Lan)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wimarnadalr, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wimarnadalr

wimarnadalr Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm having the weirdest internet issue, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it!

Basically, my pc is the only device that doesn't reach the internet speed we're paying for, which is 30mb. It barely reaches 5mb (download), and 2mb (upload). We changed the provider a month or so ago.

I have windows 10, updated. My pc is a Dell Inspiron 3543 (4-ish years old). All drivers are updated.

We have a router that enables 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz frequencies, my pc only connects to 2.4Ghz.

The strangest thing is that, with another ISP we had 10mb, and it reached 8mb, no issues there.

So, all other devices here get to the 20-ishmb easily except mine.

Any advice?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Same speed when wired instead of wireless?

3. wimarnadalr

Hi! I'm attaching the ping test results with both wifi and ethernet.

With ethernet I get around 10mb (download), and 1-ish mb (upload). I saw it changed the server when I used the speedtest, but it's still too low. I tried with my phone, and it got 24mb.

I don't know if there are any services in specific I should check or stop?

I also wanted to mention that I have already reinstalled the driver, same results.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And the network drivers are the latest that are on the Dell web site?

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Your wired is almost three times as fast as your wireless.

Same wired and wireless speeds after booting up in Safe mode with networking?

6. wimarnadalr

Yeah, I visited the website, had it scan my pc and downloaded a couple of drivers for this PC. After I installed them I tried to speed test again, same results. So I went to the device manager, looked for updates for them from there, installed an update, restarted, but same thing. This is the page where I downloaded them (https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...cetag/1tqbd32/drivers?showresult=true&files=3).

7. wimarnadalr

I booted in safe mode and connected to Ethernet and got a lovely +25mb (download).

Wifi is missing, the only adapter enabled is Ethernet. I even went into the cmd and tried the command "Netsh wlan connect name="Vago_Net.2.4" but it gave an error "There is no wireless interface on the system."

Apparently, I am unable to enable wifi during safe mode. I did some research, and it doesn't seem like I can do it on W10, something about the system only enabling basic settings for the pc to functiion. But if you have a work around, I can give it a try.

So, I'm guessing it could be a software problem, maybe a service or some setting?

Attached Files:

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I'd start by Disabling all Startup Programs, then reboot and test. If faster now you know it must have been one of those programs. To zero in on which one, re-enable a few, reboot and test. Then keep doing this until you found the culprit.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My guess is that you have a third party security program (e.g., Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc.). If you uninstall it and run the Removal Tool if one is provided your internet access should improve immensely.

10. wimarnadalr

Guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys, good news!

The culprit: SmartByte Network Service.

Apparently it enhances streaming, but affects negatively the internet speed. So I killed the service and my internet speed is beautiful again.

Thank you all for the help!

Attached Files:

11. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

(y) Good to hear you were finally able to zero in on the culprit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice