1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet speed on one machine is way slower than other.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by katycat, Oct 30, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. katycat

katycat Thread Starter

My internet speeds (down) normally fall somewhere between 100Mbps and 200Mbps. I can get these speeds consistently on my laptop which has a wifi adapter capable of handling up to 866.7Mbps. However on my desktop which has a wifi adapter capable of handling up to 433.3 Mbps I consistently get speeds between 2Mbps and 15Mbps. I have tried many different solutions including: moving my router in the same room as the desktop, changing around properties of the network adapter, changing the channel my router uses, changing the wireless mode my router used, my final attempt was hard-wiring my pc into the router with an ethernet cable and the highest speed I hit was 16.3Mbps.
    I used the same network, speed test, and browser for both computers.
    I also know for a fact that my desktop is capable of getting better speeds, I lived in an apartment for a year where I got 120Mbps pretty consistently.
    Desktop network adapter: Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Laptop network adapter: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz

Edit: Running Windows 10 on both machines.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Welcome!

Well the issue I see is that both Ethernet and Wireless have speeds, so you would want to make sure that you don't have anything in the background that is downloading/uploading, like sharing software like uTorrent

3. katycat

katycat Thread Starter

As far as I can tell I have nothing running in the background that is using any significant amount of network resources. At least not enough to show up in the task manager.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is this a brand machine? If so what is the make, model, and serial tag/serial number?

5. katycat

katycat Thread Starter

iBUYPOWER i-Series 506
    SN: 7790-9799-D1E7-4B94-6

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    COmpanies like best buy preload with internet security programs. do you have anything like Norton installed?

James

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice