Solved Internet Speed problem with new Xfinity modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nate915

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8137 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 487 GB (253 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock, Z97 Extreme4
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I subscribe to Comcasts fastest internet package available to me. Comcast told me I needed to update my modem because it was out of date by a number of years. With the new modem they say I should be getting 60 Mbps down / 12 up (with the old router I was getting 30/9). The new modem is also a router and has two networks set up. a 2.4 GHz and a 5. I hardwired my desktop into it with the old and then a new ethernet cable.

I noticed that it was taking longer for pages to load and I couldn't stream anything without it being very low quality and also online games such as Diablo 3 are very choppy but still playable. I ran speed tests from google, fast.com and xfinity and got results that should of made AOL in 1992 look like a sonic jet... .05 down / 12 up on one of them up to 3 down / 12 up on others. My internet IS running much slower than it should be but not as slow as the tests are saying.. Comcast is sending someone out here to look at it for me but he won't be able to get out here for several days and I need my internet for work.

Also, This is the 2nd modem I picked up from them the 1st one was no better than a paperweight and didn't do anything. Is there something I can do to fix this issue before the tech gets out here? Or did I just get two dis-functional modems in a row from Comcast?

I apologize in advance if I missed any technical info, I'm not very good when it comes to this kind of thing.

etaf

Wayne
you may have 2 faulty routers
can you log into the router and see the configuration pages , often theres a status page which shows the down/upload figures the router is seeing

do you have another device you can connect by cable and test

I suspect your PC is ok as you got 30DL on the old router
Do you still have the old router / modem ?

nate915

I don't know how to log onto the new router. When they gave it to me it was just the unit with no user manual and unfortunately I had to give my old modem to them to get the new one. I do have a laptop I could plug into it.. its probably 7 or 800 years old. lol so I don't know how well it'll do but I'll try it!

etaf

Wayne
any make and model on the new router/modem

nate915

any make and model on the new router/modem
Router is a Arris. model number TG1682G also the laptop just clocked 127.62 Mbps down on xfinity's speed test.. How is that even possible? These speed tests are just a joke aren't they.... >.>

etaf

Wayne
speedtest.net is usually quite good
so is that speed on both PCs now ?

etaf

Wayne
so where are you getting the 127 figure from ?

nate915

with the laptop
speedtest.xfinity.com 128.39 / 12.16
speedtest.net 111.01 / 11.91
speedof.me 30.16 / 12.64 and it was 17.61 / 11.9 the 2nd time I ran it
Its a windows laptop not android or mac.. but I ran it anyway

etaf

Wayne
perhaps use the laptop and see what sort of download time you get
there are a few test sites for download time

i have just tried speedtest and also this site
http://testmy.net/download
set to manual and choose a 100MB file
and the results are the same
speedof.me 14.9
xfinity 14.18 (and i'm in UK)

manual 200MB file = 14.5

so strange you are getting such a variation
noone else on the internet at all - no other devices

file size download estimator
http://www.download-time.com/

its a bit confusing

do you think the laptop is about that sort of speed - download a file and time it , from http://testmy.net/download

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Out of interest, do you have the telephone service through Comcast too?

One thing that I have seen is that the firmware may not be up to date.

Log in to the gateway at http://10.0.0.1 Default userID is admin password is password
Then click on software from the menu on the left. You should be able to check the firmware and Comcast should be able to confirm if it's out of date.
Comcast should also be able to tell you if your connection is seeing any large amount of bandwidth on your upstream/downstream that could be causing your issues.

nate915

Thank you guys for your help. The tech came out today had someone change where it was booting from or something like that and messed around with the box outside and whatever he did resolved the issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online