1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet speed problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by icks, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icks

icks Thread Starter

hi i have a problem with my intrenet speed i have a connection of upto 10MB but when i run a speed check i dont even get 2MB i contacted my service provider but they say its most likely to do with my computer. i noticed the problem after i got the spylocked virus ive scanned my computer but cant find anything. is there anyone that can help me to check if there is a problem with my computer

Thanks in advance

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

A bit more info might be required to assist you.
    Operating system and level
    Your networking environment (cable/dsl,what country are you in,are you using a router,if so,make and model,make and model of your modem,ISP provider,for starters)

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Icks:I just re read your post.I need to clarify something.You stated that you think you should be getting 10MB(megabytes,BIG B)
    Are you paying for 10 megabytes or 10 megabits?
    My ISP offers two plans.One at 7mbps(small b,and 12 mbps)I paying for 7 but speed tests are pretty consistantly at 10mbps or above.
    Then next question,did your speed test report in megabytes or megabitsIf megabytes,then,your speed tested would be 16 mbps(2 X 8 bits)
    These two speed test sites report in mbps:

www.dslreports.com

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

If I am off base here,I'm sure Johnwill or Terrynet will step in and slap me to get my head on straight.

4. icks

icks Thread Starter

hi to answer the first reply im using windows xp pro sp2, i my service provider is Virgin Media formally telewest, its a cable connection and i am in the UK (W Midlands), im not using a router and my modem is SURFboard Motorola SB4100. For the second post Sorry my mistake i pay for upto 10Mb (small b), speakeasy shows download speed at 619kbps and upload at 120kbps

thanks for helpin me

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:Just for grins,run the speed test at dslreports,if there is a test site close to you.
    Unfortunately,I am not familiar with your modem,so will have to rely on someone more knowledgeable on that piece.
    And your connection looks like:cable /modem/ethernet cable to ethernet port on your pc. Correct?
    Another question.Do any of your neighbors have this cable ISP,if so what are their speeds?
    Also,have you cleaned out your internet temp files and cache lately,and also run your anti spyware program to check for culprits?
    Is your cable connection coming directly to your modem from the main inbound cable,or are you going through some kind of a splitter.
    If you have been down all these roads with no joy,might I suggest that you contact your ISP and ask them to run whatever line checks that they can to further isolate the bottleneck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice