1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet speed reduce after download

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SureshAcharya, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SureshAcharya

SureshAcharya Thread Starter

I am trying to get a internet broadband connection through USB stick.. While speaking to the vendor. he said that they offer 3.1Mbps speed (no roaming charges)...all of this is understood...but they say that after 5GB of download the speed will reduce to 128Kbps....Can I know what do they mean by this.

And how do I go ensuring how many GB have I completed my download.

Also pls provide any links to understand the myraid of connectivis and jargons that come along with this internet connection....thanks

2. ascendancy91

ascendancy91

5gb is the limit of downloading..and your download speed would decrease after exceeding that..

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The 5GB download limit must be for a specific time period, right? Maybe a month?

If the ISP is keeping track of it they may make it available to you on their web site. If so, that would probably be the easiest way for you to track it. If not, there are some utilities you can install on your computer to track download sizes, but I don't know of any offhand and have not searched.

4. SureshAcharya

SureshAcharya Thread Starter

I think so...yes...should be for a month. As the charges were being quoted on monthly basis. But why does my speed reduce....is my query...I mean what is the relation between Mbps (Speed) and GB (Size).
    [i have checked various web sites that give explanation abt speed but I am not able to relate it with size]

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your speed is reduced because you've reached your download cap. It's not a technical problem. It's a business and contractual decision made by your provider. Be grateful they don't charge you per MB or GB you go over. That's what some providers do.

6. geek117

geek117

You're trying to obtain an internet connection from a Cell Phone provider, whom all have data caps on their "unlimited" plans. You would be much better off finding a land based connection which is both faster, and cheaper. Is there a specific reason you need the connection over USB?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice