1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Arif1983, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arif1983

Arif1983 Thread Starter

My ISP tells me I am being provided upto 50mbps but when I run a speedtest I get between 3 to 5 mbps.
    I have 10 PCs in my office.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you looking for sympathy or help? If the latter please confirm that the speedtest is with one late model computer connected by ethernet directly to the modem and specify the service used for the speedtest. Also tell us the brand and model of the modem.

3. Arif1983

Arif1983 Thread Starter

of course help. I use point to point connection so instead of a modem, I have a radio antenna receiving signal from the tower and the antenna connected to the Draytek router via the ethernet. if I connect the ethernet from the antenna directly to the laptop and perform the speedtest using openspeedtest.net I get varying results from 12 mbps to 26 mbps although they claim they are giving me 50 mbps. And when I do the same test from a desktop (also connected via ethernet cable) I get different results (about 3 to 5 mbps). I need to know is this normal because I have more computers connected to the network? or do I have problem with my network devices? or am i being duped by my ISP?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are these new machine or are they older which means they may have slow (10,100) network cards, that do not support the faster speeds?

This Draytek router, is it of the High speed type or the older slow 10,100 type?
    Model number of it may help us?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you mention a radio antenna I assume that your point to point is wireless. A lot (distance; interference; antennas not oriented perfectly) can lessen the bandwidth, so I cannot venture an opinion about whether you are getting as much bandwidth as possible for your location.

Regardless of type of internet service your best (most reliable) speed test will involve as few devices as possible. So, you should be concerned about the speed with one computer connected by ethernet and with no other devices using the network.

10/100 Mbps ethernet devices can handle speeds greater than 50 Mbps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice