1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dave63OSHAWA, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:30 PM.

Advertisement
  1. dave63OSHAWA

dave63OSHAWA Thread Starter

I have 2 laptops both 100% the same laptop using win 10 on both, one laptop gets 500 mbps, the other one only gets 90 Mbps I rebooted the modem. still the same, what do I do, ps I have no malware or viruses.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you are testing the speed by watching 2 streaming videos on both machines at the same time, then you won't get good performance on one of them. That depends on the max speed of the internet connection plan you purchased.

If you are just doing speedtest on the internet on both machines, then we would need to find out what is different between the machines. Same hardware and same Windows 10 does not mean same configuration.

3. dave63OSHAWA

dave63OSHAWA Thread Starter

the other comp is not doing anything it gets 500 plus Mbps. if I go on the other laptop it will only max out at 90 Mbps. I Scand no viruses no malware .its wired not wifie. same type cord, I did a test from the modem to come it says 600 mbps, but on your device is only 90 so it has to be this comp but has no clue what it could be?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

So both pc's are using ethernet cable, right?

What software is on the slow PC ?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "slow" PC has gigabit ethernet? If yes, and if it is set to "auto" speed try setting the speed & duplex to 1000 Mbps full duplex.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you saying both laptops are the same brand name/model name/model number and have the same hardware and have the same Windows 10 version?

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    At one point in time I had three Dells in the House. Two belonged to my husband's nephew and one was my husband's. All models were Dimension 2400. I ran Belarc and discovered that the internal hardware was NOT the same!
    So you might want to actually see what hardware is in these perhaps identical laptops.
    Post the Network adapters on both and look at the drivers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice