1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SarahCG, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SarahCG

SarahCG Thread Starter

I have an HP 550 with Vista Business and Service Pack 2. I have a modem connection. Both direct (Cat-5 to ethernet plug) and Wifi worked fine for a few weeks. Now, suddenly I cannot access the internet.

The cable modem connects and shows the connection, and wifi finds my internet wifi. The Vista Network map shows the connection from the LAN (or Wifi) to the PC (sometimes with an "!" and sometimes without it), but the connection from the PC to the Internet has an "X" on it. Both the LAN and Wifi connections say 'local only'.

Please help!!!

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

try inbuit first, start... type..... find look at list that comes up fix internet/diagnose internet connections run the test if you like click make report and post that back

system restore is also an option

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

3. SarahCG

SarahCG Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

System restore gives me an error about being unable to restore properly.

I don't know what inbuit is.

Windows Network Diagnostics says 'This computer has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources.' It suggests resetting network adapter, automatically getting new IP settings and restarting the modem. None of these fixed the problem.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Try Unplugging the Modem for a minute and try resetting network adapter using winows repair again

5. SarahCG

SarahCG Thread Starter

I discovered that in IPv4 settings on ethernet card, it wasn't set to automatically get IP address (I can never figure out how these settings change themselves). Now my wired internet is working! But the wireless still isn't. I unplugged the modem as per post above. Still not working.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!