1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet stops recognizing new connections after increased usage

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Weylin, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weylin

Weylin Thread Starter

A short while ago, I had my data backed up onto a new HDD, as the old one was showing signs of failing soon. When I got the computer back, I noticed a problem where I need to constantly hit "Diagnose" in the Wireless Network Connection Status to get my internet working again. When it gets into this stage, several websites continue to work, I don't lose my connection to them. Some websites I can still connect to without a problem. However, many websites, even google, keep giving an error that the host could not be found. It appears that it stops accepting new connections until I reset the wireless card. My Laptop (using wireless) and other PC (Connected directly) have had no issues at all with our wireless router. If there is any useful information that I could provide for this situation, please let me know. (ipconfig /all maybe?) The wireless device on this computer is an Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless EDIT: (This forum does not preserve my formatting?)

2. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    Have you tried doing a DNS Flush?

In a command prompt (as administrator), type in "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes

3. Weylin

Weylin Thread Starter

Tried that, didn't seem to help, I have to diagnose to fix the problem. I just downloaded Subspace-Continuum, that might help me visualize what's going on. It pings like 20 different servers, so I'll see if it dies out completely or only some go down. It's a very odd behavior...

4. Weylin

Weylin Thread Starter

If it helps, everything I tracert gets a time out on the second hop. After the 2nd one, it's all ISP routing. When this issue crops up, it will not get past the 2nd hop, it wont pick it up at all.

5. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    You can try a tracert to 8.8.8.8 as well as google.com

your DNS settings may be set to your ISP's (and if they are anything like mine, they are extremely poor). Try using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, Google's DNS servers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice