1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet stops working after 10 minutes! Please help.. I've tried everything!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GucciBoy, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GucciBoy

GucciBoy Thread Starter

I just got Windows XP to install on my P4p800D and have set up my internet.

The thing is that after about 10 minutes of use or not using it. It stops working. Once i restart my computer it starts working again. But after a little bit it shuts off again. Its really frustratign having to restart my computer everytime i want to access the net. Also programs like AIM and ICQ once connected stay connected and work.

I'm on ADSL with a 3COM Gigabit LOM onboard network card(i think). PLEASE HELP.

This problem seems to be the same problem I saw on this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t149849/s3aa6409745b41184194281bee6550d55.html

Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Stretchr and ask how he got it fixed.. If ever?

2. BillC

BillC

Do you have a firewall?

3. GucciBoy

GucciBoy Thread Starter

nope. no firewall installed.

4. BillC

BillC

Does it give you any error message or warning before it shuts down? And when you say it stops working are you talking about your internet connection only?

Are you by chance using a dial-up? If so, check Tools > Internet Connections > Connections > Settings > Advanced > and see if you have enabled "Disconnect if idle ".

5. GucciBoy

GucciBoy Thread Starter

Im using DSL.

No warning before it shuts down. Only my internet connection stops working.

6. BillC

BillC

Hmmmm. As you might guess, I don't know what is causing this behavior, just going through some trouble shooting steps. You have not mentioned if you have done a scan for viruses. If not, I'd try that next and if you don't have an antivirus program, go to TrendMicro's HouseCall for a free online scan.

If that doesn't reveal something, maybe a HijackThis log might for those skilled at reading them. For that, you will want to go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/, and download 'Hijack This!'Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Press that, save the log as a .txt file, and copy and paste its contents into your next post. Someone here can review it for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice