1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet stops working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by alanjrobson, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alanjrobson

alanjrobson Thread Starter

I hope someone can help please. I have a laptop and desktop both accessing internet through Orange Livebox. For some reason my laptop drops the internet connection after about 5 minutes and will not reconnect until I have done a restart. I have been downloading stuff for my Nokia N95 phone recently and wonder if this is the problem. My desktop computer seems unaffected and accesses internet as normal. I have tried to do a system restore but each time I get the message that system restore was not possible. I feel I might have some sort of virus although AVG scan shows nothing. Any ideas about what to do please:confused:

2. coainc

coainc

I'm having the same problem with my desktop.
    My cable internet connection cuts out after a couple of minutes.
    The Local Area Connection Status indicates I still have the connection and the Network Connection Details are correct.
    I'll close Firefox and open Opera...nothing. I'll close Opera and open IE7.....nothing. However, I can still access my email with Outlook Express.
    I reboot the computer and within a couple of minutes, it happens again.

So far I have checked the connections, changed the cables, reset the Surfboard modem, upgraded the ethernet driver...and rolled it back, individually upgraded the rest of the drivers in the Device Manager, where applicable, and rolled them back, reloaded Firefox and....same problem.

I have Windows XP with all the current updates and an ASUS P5GD1 with a P4 3.0mhz processor.

Any help, direction or solution is appreciated. Thanks.

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

What gives you this impression? If you think you have a virus, start a thread in the malware removal forum to get help with scanning your system.

How does your laptop connect to the Internet? Do you have a wireless connection to a wireless router or do you have a wired connection to the Orange Livebox modem or what?

Peace...

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Since it soundsl like you have a direct wired connection to your cable modem, I would start a thread on your issue in the Networking forum. They will take a closer look at your network settings and configuration to see what could be interfering.

Peace...

5. coainc

coainc

Thanks for the vector.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice