1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet suddenly slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Septimus, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Septimus

Septimus Thread Starter

I didn't know where to post this for sure (gaming or Networking) but I decided in affected Networking a bit more. My general problem is that my internet connectivity went down by quite a bit. I have two different networks, one normal, one 5G. The 5G network went down from a speed of 300 Mbps to 65~ Mbps. I didn't really noticed this until I started playing certain online games, where I wouldn't have any 'lag' of any sort (Players would move where they wanted to with no delay), until I would disconnect for several seconds at a time, then reconnect.
    That started a while ago, but it was rare and would only happen a few times a match (The games in particular were Dota 2 and League of Legends). My ping for these games was also exceedingly good. My Mbps were still at there highest at that point though. Now, in the past few days, it's dropped to it's amount (as has the regular connection, but it has a better speed now [100~ish], which is odd), and the disconnecting is really common, but I still have the good ping when I'm not dc'd.
    Also, while the game's ping is high, something else like Youtube video's loading and flash games loading is really slow. Another thing I find weird is that everyonce in a while It'll show that I am back to my old amount.
    I have a Netgear router with a Netgear 'receiver' USB on my desktop. I've left my computer on a few nights or two in the past, just downloading games off of steam or such. I was wondering if the problem was with my actual internet connection from the source (which is COX) or if it had something to do my receiver or such burning out =/
    Lastly, I live in the middle of Kansas, so I am open to the idea that my location's suddenly just bummed out (It's been good though for a good few months) =l
    This has been a really annoying problem for the past few days, so any help at all (even saying that this is something I can't help because it's a problem with COX) would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice