1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet through xbox one S instead of cable provider?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by HoustonIhaveaquestion, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HoustonIhaveaquestion

HoustonIhaveaquestion Thread Starter

Hello,

New here. I was wondering if I purchase an xbox one s, can I get internet through xbox gold (I believe it's called) to use on both my laptop Mac and my TV - which has HD but is not a new 'internet'/4D TV? My goal is to discontinue my current local cable provider and get Hulu Live and Netflix to watch TV in order to save money on my limited budget. I am hoping that I can connect the Xbox to my TV for Hulu/Netflix and then somehow (wifi?) also still be able to use my laptop Mac at home for internet use. I may be interested in playing a few games as well. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help/expertise on this.

Thank you and have a great day/night!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you don't have Internet Service, how are you suppsed to get NetFlix to download movies?

3. HoustonIhaveaquestion

HoustonIhaveaquestion Thread Starter

I currently have internet through cable provider. I was told recently that I could get internet through xbox one instead. I may have misunderstood what he was saying (which is why Im here to confirm if this is correct).

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Xbox does not have a built in modem. And even if it does, you still need internet service.

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Contact your cable provider if they offer only internet service. Might be a little expensive since sometimes they offer specials on Internet and Cable.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

This article talks about the minimal internet service speed required for netflix. maybe you can save money by going with a slow service that just meet the requirements.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Link, please. :)

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Houston: To confirm, the XBOX will have internet apps like Netflix/Hulu/etc. but as mentioned, you still need to have an internet provider. XBOX Gold is to play online with other XBOX users as well as getting games for a discount.

While it may be cheaper to keep more than internet only service, they may raise prices on you after their 'promotions'. I got screwed by Cox and paying way more than I should be but that's another story.

Having said that, internet companies may have a 'cap' on internet usage. You shouldn't hit these caps if you don't use the services that often.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice