1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Time Sync

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Billy the Adult, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult Thread Starter

Good day all.. I've noticed that my time is getting slow by about 5 minutes a week so I went to the adjust time window and tried to run a sync. I get an error message saying "an error has occurred while Windows was synchronizing with.... etc" I've tried all the servers in the drop down list and get the same message from all.. I doubt they are all down at the same time. Is this a Vista glitch, anyone else having this problem?

2. jcd1957

jcd1957

same problem here with XP. think it is Microsoft overall that has a problem.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Works for me...

Do you have firewalls installed that could be blocking it?

4. Stingingfork

Stingingfork

In Vista on my internet time settings I've tried to force an "update now" but I'm getting a similar error: "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov". My system isn't running slow without this synchronization but I would still like to fix it for future updates. Any help would be appreciated. I know I could download another piece of software like FG Time Sync or Atomic Clock but would rather get Vista working instead the way it was intended. :confused:

5. spiked232

spiked232

YEP same problem here, except mine goes 3 hours behind and stays 3 hours behind. I've gotten used to it, and just add 3 hours to the time that I have showing in my head. I'm waiting on a fix for this but so far, nothing...time will tell I guess.

6. Stingingfork

Stingingfork

Before I posted I had checked my Firewall permissions and didn't see anything blocked that would relate back to the time sync problem but if someone could direct me to the specific program file that controls the time sync for Vista I could add that program if it's not already listed.:confused:

7. davidsf444

davidsf444

I had the same problem and did a Google search and found the solution. It turns out the Windows default time servers don't seem to work for a lot of folks. The U.S. Navy runs one that does seem to work for everyone. To solve the problem:

Choose Start, Run, type regedit and hit ENTER (to edit the registry).
    Navigate to:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/DateTime/Servers]

Right click on the first line and choose "Modify" and change the data element to 1.
    (This will select the first time provider on your list as the default provider).
    Right click on the second line, choose "Modify" and change the data element to:

tick.usno.navy.mil

You can add more time servers if you wish, for example:

"2"="time-a.nist.gov"
    "3"="time-b.nist.gov"
    "4"="128.105.37.11"
    "5"="europe.pool.ntp.org"
    "6"="clock.isc.org"
    "7"="north-america.pool.ntp.org"
    "8"="time.windows.com"
    "9"="time.nist.gov"

Closing the registry editor will automatically save your changes.
    Open the Date and Time Properties/Internet time and scroll down the new list.

8. Stingingfork

Stingingfork

davidsf444 I did the regedit just as you suggested and tried a forced update with each one of the time servers on your list but with no success. Each one stated "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with ..." I really was hoping your fix would take care of the problem but thanks for trying.

9. davidsf444

davidsf444

I am aware of 3 different people who had this problem and succeeded with the particular server named: tick.usno.navy.mil

Perhaps you could try one more time by double-clicking your clock in the lower right corner then click on the Internet Time tab and then either choose (if it's already there) or type in (if it isn't there): tick.usno.navy.mil and click the "Update Now" button. If it happens to succeed this time, follow my previous instructions to make sure it's the default server that will be used for future updates. If it doesn't work, sorry, I don't know what else to suggest.

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Incidentally, the backup server for tick.usno.navy.mil is tock.usno.navy.mil. These are the servers I use.

Courtney sends....

11. ChrisFurry

ChrisFurry

The problem is caused by your internet firewall blocking Microsoft's time synchronisation program's access to the internet. According to the Microsoft help file, if you rely on Window's firewall there is no problem.

I have successfully synchronised the time by temporarily switching off the third-party firewall (MacAffee).

The real solution is to identify the name of the synchronisation program and tell the firewall not to block it. I was looking for that name when I found this thread.

12. ChrisFurry

ChrisFurry

If you are using MacAfee's firewall, there is a check box for Network Time Protocol port 123 that must be checked. When I did this, the time synchronisation worked.

To find it:

1. Click on Internet & Network.

2. Click on Configure in the right pane (near the bottom).

3. Click on "Firewall protection is enabled."

4. Click on Advanced at the bottom of the section that opens.

5. Click on System Services in the left panel.

6. Scroll down through the check boxes in the right panel until you find "Network Time Protocol Port 123".

7. Check the box.

8. Click OK.

9. Close the MacAfee security center.

After this, my synchronisation worked.

Good luck.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560676