1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet times out/drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BagofRice, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BagofRice

BagofRice Thread Starter

So I've had this issue for about 3 months now, my computer will stop loading internet every hour which in order to be fixed needs a restart. My setup is Modem->Netgear router(current firmware)-> Windows XP(wired). All other devices in my house run perfectly fine off the internet.

Also, there other related issues. ICS 90% of the time doesn't start, and when I turn on the computer and log in the theme is windows classic instead of the Windows XP theme.

And there is another issue, which I think is the main culprit, my default gateway,DHCP server, and DNS server all have the same address. I've tried setting it to static instead of auto obtain, but then my IP address drops completely(0.0.0.0).

For the record, I've ran multiple virus scanners, Chkdsk, and reinstalled Winsock. Any ideas would be great to hear :D

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why do you think that is a problem? By default I think the Dhcp server in Netgear routers (at least the one I have) assign the router as the DNS server.

Format the partition and install XP clean. :)

3. BagofRice

BagofRice Thread Starter

I see, I was really not wanting to reinstall the OS again since I reinstalled it about 3 years ago...

And what do you mean by "format the partition"?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes an XP Repair Install will suffice. When it works it maintains all, or almost all, your installed programs.

I don't often advise a reinstall until after some trouble shooting, but you have such a wide variety of problems I don't really know where to start.

Many people find that XP should be reinstalled every two or three years. :) Depends on how it's used, memory, and how it is behaving.

5. BagofRice

BagofRice Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! And do you think that this could be a registry issue overall? I know as a fact that my sister used to run Ccleaner's registry utility quite often(Which I don't approve of). Do you think if I could locate an old backup of the registry and add those values again that the issue might get resolved?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I share your disapproval and distrust of register wreckers, er, cleaners. Have no idea if you could fix the registry and fix these problems.

7. BagofRice

BagofRice Thread Starter

Well I found an old registry backup I made from the day that I reinstalled my OS 3 years ago(yes, I'm really that careful with my computer)and so far a lot of the issues went away. I'll come back tomorrow sometime to update you guys to see if it worked or not, but I'm having a feeling that it did :D

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Amazing! :D I salute you. (y)

9. BagofRice

BagofRice Thread Starter

Well here's an update: Most issues seemed to have been resolved, but for a short period of time today my IP address was dropped, and ipconfig /release -> ipconfig /renew didn't do anything, but the IP address was recovered in maybe 5 minutes. Do you think if I were to set the settings as a static that it would fix the issue completely?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea. You've done this much; why not go ahead and try it?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Any reason why you are using ICS if you are direct to the router with cable? ICS is only used to connect a computer to another computer that has internet access.

As to the problem of losing the dynamic configuration, I would suspect maybe a driver issue, but certainly going a static route should resolve this issue since your computer is not trying to get the information from the router.

This would be correct. Sometimes the router will give the DNS information that the modem receives from the ISP, depending on the router and/or modem.

12. BagofRice

BagofRice Thread Starter

I don't use ICS for my internet connection, it is when I try to look at my firewall that the message about the ICS service not running. Apparently I need to have it running in order to look at my firewall, which seems odd to me. Also, my drivers are all up to date.

Update: Setting up a static IP address seemed to work, but every once in a long while the internet will 'drop' and it will have issues connecting to the DNS servers. Not sure why though...

13. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    what dns settings did you use?

14. BagofRice

BagofRice Thread Starter

What do you mean by that? I set up a static configuration for my internet. Right now I have only 1 dns server to connect to though...

15. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    what dns settings did you use? 8.8.8.8? 192.168.x.x? You can use different dns servers, like 8.8.8.8.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice