1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Trough LAN to Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ben_04_dell, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ben_04_dell

Ben_04_dell Thread Starter

Hey,

I don't know if this is already on this site but I have a question, I'll explain. I want to hook up internet to my laptop wirelessly. The parts I need from my ISP are too expensive, so a computer tech guy suggested since I have internet on my desktop so why not hook up a router too the desktop and then share my internet connection on the desktop with my laptop. So I did all that, both my desktop and laptop can see the router after hooking them up. I have file sharing on, I can access folders from either computer to computer. But I don't have internet. In internet connections, on my laptop, on the wireless connection icon I have packets receiving and sending, but on my wireless card connection icon I have zero sent, zero received.

I hope this is clear enough, Do any of you know what I need to do?

I have a belklin router,
    both computers are dell
    ethernet cable connected to router from desktop computer.

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably can help, but need to start with questions.

Have you enabled Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the desktop yet?

How do you have the router connected (WAN or LAN) to the desktop? How do you have the router configured?

And, most importantly, why aren't you just connecting the router to the modem? Does the modem have USB connection only? Or is it a modem/router combo?

3. Ben_04_dell

Ben_04_dell Thread Starter

Thank you,

Yes I have enabled ICP on my desktop.

I have the ethernet cable from the desktop to the router plugged into the LAN port.

I don't know what you mean about the router being configured.

Well you see my ISP set up a weird cable that does not hook up a standard router, so from my ISP I would need their bridge and a router. So to save money about $400 I heard of this way to set it up.

So I'm hooking up a LAN wireless network (which works) and them I want to share my internet connection from the desktop to the laptop.

Thank you again.

Benjamin

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I don't know what you mean about the router being configured."

At the very least you need to disable the router's Dhcp server. See JohnWill's post #4 in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/networkin...tion.html?highlight=connecting+SOHO+broadband
    Your ICS enabled PC is the primary router.

"Well you see my ISP set up a weird cable that does not hook up a standard router"

I guess you mean the modem has a USB port only. Ask your ISP to please let you exchange the modem for an ethernet connected one. If they don't cooperate, you could always buy your own. While the price on this one sounds too good to be true I'm linking to it to demonstrate that DSL modem/router combos are available for less than $400: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=1000HG-R&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_ite=total

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice