1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet uses up 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nan-chan, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nan-chan

Nan-chan Thread Starter

Whenever I get on the internet and go on mysapce or do anything my computer totally slows down and I did the ctrl-alt-del it showed that my CPU usage was 100%. I have Windows XP and I use AOL but it does the same thing if I use Firefox or internet explorer. If somebody could please help, I would really, really appreciate it.

2. biagrin

biagrin

have you tried a virus scan?

3. Nan-chan

Nan-chan Thread Starter

I have Norton. I run the scan every week, no virus has ever poped up.

4. Nightfirecat

Nightfirecat

Have you checked the number of processes that you're running?

5. biagrin

biagrin

run your anti virus, spybot, adware etc now.

6. 00trav

00trav

not to sound mean, but get rid of aol. they do a lot of stuff in the background and try to control your pc. aol is the bain of my existence when trying to fix someones computer, it seems the problem is always aol.
    i would definitely run a virus scan and adware scan
    http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

7. Nan-chan

Nan-chan Thread Starter

Ok I'll run my anti virus.

8. Nan-chan

Nan-chan Thread Starter

I'm running my antivirus but its taking a long time. So far it hasn't found anything.

9. Nan-chan

Nan-chan Thread Starter

I finished the scan and nothing popped up. I got rid of aol. I got on internet explorer and once again it used up all the CPU. What should I do?

10. 00trav

00trav

okay, so this isn't an easy fix, still could be aol though, it never fully uninstalls, but i will set aside my aol gripes.

try to figure out exactly what is causing the browsers to hang
    1. have you installed any software recently
    2. any browser plugins (since it happens with both, i doubt this is the problem)

try running this browser, it is completely independent from your installed system
    http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
    (note you must have your version of firefox closed to run it)

make a test html page and see if it hangs (it could be a java problem or flash problem if you are going to those sites)

open notepad and copy and past this test into it and then "save as" test.html , then open it with one of your browsers, does it still eat up processor,

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <p> Hello world! </p>
    </body>
    </html>

after the virus scan did you also do an adware scan?

11. Nan-chan

Nan-chan Thread Starter

I don't have an adware scan. And i'm confused. I ran the portable Mozilla thing and I saved the test to notepad but I don't know how to open it with a browser. I'm more than just computer illiterate.o_o Um.. can you explain a little.

12. 00trav

00trav

first off, in my first reply i have a link to adaware's website, its a free adware/spyware scanner. works very well for more things.

second, when you ran the portable mozilla what happened? did it run at 100% processor power. were you able to browse to different pages and view content without a slowdown.

third. once you save the test.html in notepad, go to the file on your desktop and double click on it, it should open with your default browser. or you can right click on the file and go to "open with", firefox and IE will be listed. the other way you can do it, is by opening a browser (ie, the portable firefox) and then going to file>open and find your test file.

note: make sure when you are in notepad that you do file>save as and save the file as "test.html" it must have the .html extension or you will just view the code. i

13. Nan-chan

Nan-chan Thread Starter

I ran the adware/ spyware thing and it got rid of a whole bunch of stuff. I ran the portable firefox and it did not take up all my CPU and doing the test did not take up all my cpu either. I guess the problem is fixed, thank you very much.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice