1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet via satellite ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blockhead, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blockhead

blockhead Thread Starter

I'm on a 56k modem and tried 3 or 4 isp's but to be honest the same old problems associated with a sloooooooow experience are to be had with all of them.

I cannot get a cable connection as there is no cable in my area at all.

I heard about a wireless broadband but the survey conducted proved that I could not get a signal !.

I've heard about satellite receivers acting as a medium for net connection. How does this work and who should I contact?.

I'm in South East England, short of moving I'm stuck for a quick surfing experience it seems

I'm open to suggestions and help .... please.

ps Don't want to go the expensive two phone lines route (hate BT anyway :) )

2. brianF

brianF

If I remember right your home is equipped with a dish type transmitter, much like direct tv type transmitter. Your transmitter has to transmit to a larger local transmitter which in turn sends the signal to the satelite and back.

Installation costs are pretty high, speeds are so so.

Bottom line you would have to check locally for a company that offers the service. You need to have access to the ground transmitter for it to work. If there's not one close enough your out of luck.

here's some info, not in your area though
    http://www.afreedish.com/promotions/starband.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice