1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Woes on XP Pro: P2P works always, but browsers intermittent ...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by audiovisceral, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiovisceral

audiovisceral Thread Starter

I am having a problem with Internet on my XP Pro Service Pack 2 (VAIO notebook). Upon restart, all functions work fine. However, periodically, and often after sleep, my Internet browsers will stop being able to load pages. Firefox gives Connection Error in its bottom right status bar and blank pages. IE gives "cannot load page" error.

Pinging websites (eg. google.com) gives "Cannot find host" errors during these www browser blackouts. Occassionally, during these periods, I'll get partial page loads, but this is rare.

At the same time, P2P programs (Limewire, uTorrent) will continue working fine, indicating the network connection and cable modem are still working fine on some level. However, browsers, as above fail.

Windows Firewall is disabled. Zone Alarm has been turned off/on with no change. I am virus free and asymptomatic so far as I know. I cannot yet discern any trigger (loading a specific program, etc.) that seems to put me into this dead state. Restarting seems to be the only thing that consistently corrects it.

To try and correct it, opening Network connections in Control Panel and selecting "repair" works without error, but does nothing to remedy the issue.

This is getting increasingly annoying, as you might imagine :eek: , and I am looking at a lengthy re-install if I can't remedy it.

If there are any diagnostics I can run that may help get to the bottom of this, let me know and I will post back with results. I will be checking the thread quite regularly.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Mike :)

2. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

Did you try to see if you experience the same symptoms in safe mode with networking?

3. audiovisceral

audiovisceral Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I did more careful observation and testing, and it appears to be a problem that only occurs a few minutes after uTorrent is started. Exiting uTorrent does not revive the browsers.

I found this thread here that explains it somewhat:
    http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?p=775229

Seems to be a known issue with uTorrent, bizarre though it may be (Have uTorrent on all my other computers but this is my first problem).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice