1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet won't browse in second session, but I can ping out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by williamc, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

My friends office is having a strange problem. When they attempt to open a second IE 7 session, the browser will sit at the loading page. The other IE session will be fully functional, but this one won't work. I can ping out, and browse with the other session. I thought it was only on one computer, but the problem is the entire office. They are connected wireless to their AP. I swapped the AP and they are still experiencing the problem.

Opening a new tab works fine too. I know the short term solution is just to open new tabs and not new windows, but I'd like to fix this for them. The new window will show in the task bar, "Opening 74.x.x.x", the IP for google.com. Ideas?

William

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

That sounds strange indeed! Try disabling all add-ins or running the browswer in safe mode to see if the problem persists.

START >> RUN >> IEXPLORE -EXTOFF

Regards,
    Rollin

3. zabusant

zabusant

Hi!

Well, if it's affecting the entire network and it's not the AP, it might be a strange software conflict all the PCs share. I suggest you try and temporarily disable any firewall/anti-malware programs (or try running IE in safemode with networking). You can ping google, but maybe there's a strange restriction to IE that has been setup in the firewall, although I can't imagine how. :)

If it's an option, remove the AP and connect only one PC to modem to rule that out.

Try connecting a computer with no problems with openning two IE sessions otherwise to the wireless network (maybe a personal laptop?).

At least maybe you can narrow down the source of the problem this way. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice