1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet won't verify downloaded files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Bilskirnir, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bilskirnir

Bilskirnir Thread Starter

I've been having problems downloading files from websites, such as game mods or even manually downloading the new windows service pack.

It prompts me and downloads the file, but when it goes to the "verifying" stage of the download it just stays at verifying and never finishes so i can't get the file i downloaded.

Im running on Windows vista and i have a cable internet connection.

Im not sure if it's with my settings or if something is just messed up, can someone help me out?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check your Internet Options. They can be very restrictive. Especially check for such things as verifying the signature of downloaded programs, since if that is checked, you may not be able to get much that is not from Microsoft itself.

3. Bilskirnir

i didn't find anything like that...

i've tried different settings through internet options but it didn't change anything, it doesn't even finish the verifying stage when i download from microsoft's website

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What seems to be doing the "verifying"? Is it your antivirus?

5. Bilskirnir

It's internet explorer itself doing it, here's the screen:
    [​IMG]

i get prompted to allow the program to run after it downloads, then when i choose to run it, it goes back to that download prompt and stays there. It never completes, it'll sit there for hours without going further. It doesn't freeze up or anything, it just never completes the download. The transfer rate never changes and neither does the estimate time left.
    :mad:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

In the Security section, above the Phishing filter, the top 4 boxes should be checked, and the rest all blank except for the one that enables XMLHTTP support.

Try disabling your AV, too.

7. Bilskirnir

I completely removed my anti-virus, it had been expired a little while ago. Rather than re-new it, i'm buying a new one.

Thanks for the help!!!

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There is no Service Pack for Windows Vista yet. Did you download something else? Perhaps some type of incompatible patch or application that could have caused problems?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice