Internet wont work after about 5-20 mins

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SirStinKE161

I know its a really weird problem.
It started happening about 3 months ago but one day it randomly stopped and now it has started again. The PC I am running is XP Pro SP1 and I am sure that there is no spyware/viruses on it. I scanned with the following applications:Avg 7, Adaware SE Pro, Spybot S&D, RegDoctor, Panda Online Scan, you name it. I changed my ip, flushed the Dns, you name it. It is really starting to piss me off because I have to restart every 10 mins to get it working again.
BTW, the PC is the host computer on a WLAN, the networked Pc's work normally.

Gracias!

TerryNet

Terry
You're using wireless with XP SP1? Since SP2 contained so many networking, especially wireless, fixes and improvements not too many people want to trouble shoot SP1 systems.

2.4Ghz cordless phones are one cause of your symptoms.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I've read several posts about 2.4Ghz phones interfering with wireless networking, but where I live, I can detect 15 different wireless networks, and I'm sure at least one of the places nearby has a 2.4Ghz phone, and I don't have problems connecting to my network. I've changed from the standard 6 or 11 channels, and that improved the signal strength.

If wireless were as fragile as is sometimes reported here, people wouldn't use it. Given my current setup, it appears to be pretty robust and not all that susceptible to interference.

DoubleHelix

Banned
There is no "host" and "guest" computer on a network with a router. All computers are equal.

TerryNet

Terry
Not everybody has problems with interference from 2.4Ghz cordless phones; some people have trouble and switch from channel 1 to channel 11 or vice versa and have no more trouble; some people do not have trouble with an open network and then have trouble connecting or staying connected when they secure their network.

Following is a quote from my router's User Guide. I suspect that most User Guides include nearly the same words in the Introduction, FAQ or Trouble Shooting section.

"Unplug and remove the battery from any cordless phone that operate [sic] on the 2.4GHz band (check manufacturers [sic] information). If this fixes the problem, your phone may be interfering."

If wireless interference is the cause of your problem an update to SP2 will not fix it.

TerryNet

Terry
DoubleHelix more or less mentioned another possible cause of your symptoms--another network on the same or close channel.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online