Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

internet working, browsers aren't.

923 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  valis 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
Yesterday i got a new laptop ( brand new) i let it download all stuff it needs to download when u get a new pc. then i put kaspersky 1year on it. ( during this i was browsing the net) after all this stuff was done it told me to restart my pc so i did. After i couldn't browse the net (can't open web pages) but i still had a connection.
We are using home networking i am on the other pc.

So any help on fixing my laptop would be greatly appreciated, i start tafe in two days and i'll need it for study ect.
Cheers.

Really appreciate a somewhat fast reply, i will check back tomorrow or later tonight.
Thanks again.

#2 ·
I will be offline next few days, but I'm sure someone will pick this up.

What stuff did you download; I'm assuming MS updates and what not? If you could perform the following tests, it would definitely help us out here.

Courtesy of JohnWill

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.