Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet working fine - but not a single browser will

5K views 50 replies 4 participants last post by  Phantom010 
#1 ·
Hi There!

I'm not terribly technical so please bear with me. I really hope someone can help as this is driving me nuts...

I'm running Windows 7 on an HP PC wired directly into the Internet. Everything has been fine (more or less) since I bought it a year ago, but yesterday - for no obvious reason as far as I could tell - my main browser (Chrome) stopped working. I tried Firefox and IE, but they wouldn't work either.

Then I saw the Internet was still accessible - iTunes was working, Skype was working, and so on. It was just browsers. I tried reinstalling Chrome and Firefox - nothing. Using my laptop for the initial download, I installed Safari for Windows and - much to my amazement - it worked, but to go over to that permanently seems like a plaster over a major wound. And in any case, there is obviously something very wrong (although probably not terribly serious - I hope!)

Last night and this morning, I've been hunting high and low for a solution to no avail. There are threads on this site (mostly several years old and closed) too, and I think I've now tried every possibility mentioned there.

If I start up in safemode with networking, it's fine.

The only anti-virus product I had was Norton (sorry!) which I've uninstalled. I ran the removal tool twice to make sure.

I've just started work again after the summer holiday and need this machine for my job. If I take it back to the place I bought it, I can wave goodbye to it for several days I suspect. I can still use it for work and simply send files across the net via Dropbox (which is working, of course) to my laptop (which is where I'm forced to type this mail). But there are things on my PC that I can't run on my laptop.

Edited to add:
1. A Norton virus scan before I uninstalled it found nothing other than a couple of tracking cookies.
2. Malwarebytes scan shows nothing.
3. A program called "CleanMyPC" has always looked after things like the registry for me, and it says everything's fine.

If anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful.

Stuart

See less See more
#2 ·
If I start up in safemode with networking, it's fine.
which means some program is blocking access that runs in normal mode
usually its a firewall
The only anti-virus product I had was Norton (sorry!) which I've uninstalled. I ran the removal tool twice to make sure.
are you sure no other firewalls are on the PC ?
What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

3. A program called "CleanMyPC" has always looked after things like the registry for me, and it says everything's fine.
registry cleaners can cause a lot of issues on PCs

you may need to do a clean boot and see if that works , if it does work in normal mode - then you need to put the programs back to see which one is causing the issue

perform a clean boot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

diagnose which program is causing the issue
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

#3 ·
Hi Wayne, and thanks for the prompt reply - appreciated.

"which means some program is blocking access that runs in normal mode usually its a firewall ... are you sure no other firewalls are on the PC ?"

As far as I can tell, the only thing on the machine resembling a firewall (or indeed and anti-virus program at the moment) is Windows Defender. I disabled that to see what would happen and it made no difference.

"What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc "

The machine came with Norton pre-installed, so I went with it, especially as the licence was for three machines, meaning my other half (who is very lax on such matters) wouldn't object to having it on her laptop if it was free. It's been fine on there incidentally (and indeed on my own laptop), but I've suspected for a long time that it has been slowing down my PC.

As far as I'm aware, no other anti-anything program has ever been on here, Malwarebytes excluded.

"you may need to do a clean boot and see if that works"

I tried that and it was exactly the same. The only difference was that the other programs currently running OK (e.g. iTunes will access the iTunes Store without issue) stopped working. But when I went back to the normal boot, all was well.

Safari is working, but it's very old - I think Apple stopped supporting it 2+ years ago now, and some extensions I like (e.g. my bookmarks and passwords) won't work in it. Also, one or two websites I use a lot don't seem to run too well in it. Whether this is Safari's fault or my underlying problem's fault, I don't know.

Out of interest, I installed Opera (never tried it before) and that didn't work at all - the response was exactly the same as Chroma & Firefox. I also have everything backed up in the cloud and, for some reason, that program doesn't seem to be working properly in this environment either. They won't delete my files this side of Christmas, however, so that's not a serious issue - although of course it does mean I can't easily put new stuff up there.

Back to the issue at hand: Is there a way of starting in "safemode with networking" and THEN adding programs one by one until it falls apart? I think that will take me a while, but the idea of reformatting and then setting everything up again fills me with dread - it will take at least a day, I fear!

I will be out for most of the rest of the day now, but any other ideas you have would be most welcome. I will be able to play around with this again in the morning.

I assure you I will let you know if/when/how something works and then mark this resolved if/when (hopefully when!) the time comes.

#4 ·
The machine came with Norton pre-installed, so I went with it, especially as the licence was for three machines, meaning my other half (who is very lax on such matters) wouldn't object to having it on her laptop if it was free. It's been fine on there incidentally (and indeed on my own laptop), but I've suspected for a long time that it has been slowing down my PC.
so you have removed norton using the removal tool - as stated in first post
is that correct

Do a clean boot is NOT
but the idea of reformatting and then setting everything up again fills me with dread - it will take at least a day, I fear!
its basically doing sort of what you suggested , but not quite
Back to the issue at hand: Is there a way of starting in "safemode with networking" and THEN adding programs one by one until it falls apart?
a clean boot - will stop all the start-up programs from running and then if that works - you go back and add half of them back to run again
then if that does not work - you know its in that half - so you deselect half of those
if not
then you select the other half and deselect the original half - sounds complicated - but those two links should explain it all

#5 ·
Hi again - that was a seriously quick reply, so I saw it before going out. Thanks!

Yes, Norton is a thing of the past on my PC now. If it turns out that it caused this issue, as seems quite likely, I will zap it from both the laptops in the house too.

I'll get started on this late tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the help. I shall sleep better knowing you're out there!

:)

#7 ·
Hi Wayne

Still plugging away here - I shall soon be bald at the rate I'm tearing my hair out!

I got up this morning and first checked the machine has no traces of Norton/Symantec. It doesn't.
Then I re-ran a Malwarebytes scan again, just in case the latest version of that turned anything up. It didn't.

Then I tried the clean boot procedure again and there is a problem even after this. Chrome, Firefox, etc. still won't open. Does this mean the issue is a Microsoft problem? The little icon in the bottom right, next to the clock, says I'm connected to the Internet, and programs that require access (e.g. iTunes Store) work just fine (even if iTunes doesn't like opening or closing properly in this mode).

So, as I understand it (and I said at the outset I'm not very technical), I'm booting up with Microsoft products only and still can't use any browsers except the outdated Safari.

Just out of interest (and to put my mind at rest somewhat), I then rebooted in safemode with networking, and can confirm that this is still working just fine.

I still can't help thinking that I must be missing something simple somewhere, but I'm starting to think that may not be the case.

Edited to add the following:
I re-read your earlier posts, and where you mention any other security stuff I now remember seeing something called HP Protect Tools. Can they be messing anything up?

#8 ·
I now remember seeing something called HP Protect Tools.
could be
BUT you say
I'm booting up with Microsoft products only
are you sure

lets try this
in normal mode do the following three ping tests please

also check for as proxy - should not be as it works in safemode - but just incase - see below

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

For Windows 8
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens

Type the following command
Ping {then a space and then add the number that is shown against the item labelled "default gateway" shown in the results from the ipconfig /all}
Post back the results in a reply here
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 72.52.204.213
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
For your information only
these tests will check various stages of the connection, the first ping test, ping default gateway checks to see if you still have a connection to the router.
The next two Ping google.com & Ping 209.183.226.152 tests the connection to internet. google is to test by name and the ping test using a number is checking that a connection exists without DNS.
these tests then confirm if there is a dns issue on the connection.

if you see on the results a
"general Failure"
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
This sometimes means a firewall issue
What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

For Windows 8
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/
Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Remove any proxy settings
Check your browser's settings, remove or uncheck any proxy settings if found

http://www.plus.net/support/software/browsers/proxies.shtml
http://www.ehow.com/how_5512742_remove-proxy-server.html

Google Chrome
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96815?hl=en-GB
This will open the Internet Explorer Properties dialogue (Windows) or the Network dialogue (Mac) where you can adjust your network settings

Firefox
Tools>Options>Advanced>Network Tab>connections Settings... button>
Newer release version see here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...nection-problem#w_firefox-connection-settings

#9 ·
Hi Wayne

I really appreciate your efforts here – thanks.

1. I’m able to use the HP computer that has the problem. However, the only browser that will work on it is the out-of-date Safari, but it does work for most things. I can access mail on it, and open this thread, and therefore use links, and copy & paste, and so on. I confirm it has Windows 7, which has been updated automatically since Day 1 (I think/hope).

2. I have no idea what HP Protect Tools do, but uninstalling them sounds drastic. I’ll do it if you tell me to though. Any settings there will be default ones, I imagine.

3. I confirm Windows Defender is still there. Should I disable/remove that?

4. When starting with the “clean boot”, I checked the box marked “Hide all Microsoft services” before checking the box “disable all”. So, I hope it’s only starting with MS stuff onboard when clean booting – but I don’t know how to check that is the case. Of course I will do so if you want me to (and can tell me how to).

5. “lets try this - in normal mode do the following three ping tests please”
OK – results will follow, prefixed 5b.

5a. Since I need “the number that is shown against the item labelled "default gateway" shown in the results from the ipconfig /all” the first thing I did was run the ipconfig /all… instruction you gave. The reply came as follows (telling me my default gateway is: 192.168.0.1)
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : StuartsHP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 88-51-FB-59-9B-33
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9940:faa9:44f9:1327%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.19(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 August 2014 09:55:44
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 August 2014 22:56:08
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 270843397
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-70-DC-AE-88-51-FB-59-9B-33
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{73B2AA40-C13C-4BBF-8556-D220E1DAFF8E}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

5b. Ping Tests

Here are the results of all three:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Stuart>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Users\Stuart>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [83.255.235.38] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=60
Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=60
Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=60
Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 83.255.235.38:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 11ms

C:\Users\Stuart>ping 72.52.204.213

Pinging 72.52.204.213 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 72.52.204.213: bytes=32 time=148ms TTL=46
Reply from 72.52.204.213: bytes=32 time=149ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 72.52.204.213:
Minimum = 148ms, Maximum = 149ms, Average = 148ms

C:\Users\Stuart>

Am I right in assuming that the absence of a “general failure” is good?

6. What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

I’m pretty sure that this machine has only ever had Norton Internet Security on it. It was delivered with it, and I’m 99.9% sure I’ve not been tempted to “try” anything else in the meantime. It’s only 9 months old, so I hope I would remember if anything out of the ordinary had happened regarding that.

As stated at the top of this entry, Windows Defender is still there, and from this morning you also know about “HP Protect Tools” (whatever they do), but I don’t think there is an anti-virus package anywhere to be found on the drive at the moment.

7. “also check for as proxy - should not be as it works in safemode - but just incase - see below”

a. In Chrome, I did the following:
Settings
Show advanced settings
(scroll down) Change proxy settings
click connections tab
click LAN settings
check all three boxes are unchecked (which they are)

b. In Firefox, I did the following:
Options
Network tab
The only thing checked here was “auto detect proxy settings”. I didn’t change this.

OK, I think/hope that’s all the info you need? This is highly advanced stuff for me, and I admit I find it a bit scary. But I’ve tried to be methodical, and I hope the info given here is all OK. Obviously if you need anything else I will bend over backwards to provide it.

Thanks again Wayne.

Stuart

#10 ·
This is highly advanced stuff for me, and I admit I find it a bit scary. But I've tried to be methodical,
yes, hopefully my instructios - which can quite lengthy , if followed provide a good guide what to do

the ping tests confirm that you do have internet access on that PC in normal mode and also there is not a DNS (using names in web browsers - like www.google.com)

so something is blocking access still

the clean boot you carried out - is correct and so something else is blocking

I'm pretty sure that this machine has only ever had Norton Internet Security on it.
lets try the norton removal tool
--------------------------------------------------------------

Norton Removal Tool
I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time or even a third time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of norton and symantec from the PC

https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...t=Norton Core&pvid=f-core-cur&version=current
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us...&ispid=&pvid=f-core-cur&q=Norton+Removal+Tool

--------------------------------------------------------------

And a TCP/IP reset

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows Vista/Windows 7/8
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):​

For Windows 8
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
  • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
  • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
Access is Denied
This often occurs with windows 8

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Details also here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

#11 ·
#12 ·
Hi Wayne

I ran the Norton Removal tool three times just now, rebooting between each time.

Immediately afterwards, I followed your instructions for the TCP/IP reset. Here's the copy/paste:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Stuart>netsh winsock reset catalog

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

C:\Users\Stuart>netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
Reseting Interface, OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\Users\Stuart>netsh int ipv6 reset rest.log
Reseting Interface, OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\Users\Stuart>

I didn't get any error messages at any point in any of the processes.

After the final re-boot, I opened Chrome again and tried half a dozen common pages (e.g. google.com). All failed to load, giving me the message "This webpage is not available". All of them are available on my laptop, also using Chrome.

I then fired up iTunes on the HP Desktop, and immediately saw there were upgrades to apps available. I downloaded them without problem - so clearly I'm online and accessing the internet. It's just the browsers.

I'm starting to fear a "format c:" is coming .... are there any other things to try before we get there? Perhaps disabling/removing the HP Tools is worth a try?

Stuart

PS. You asked if it's a personal or business PC. The answer is a bit of both - about 80-90% personal. I'm a sole proprietor doing various language work, including freelance translation. That's a lot easier on a desktop than a laptop. But I try not to work at home if I can avoid it - my better half doesn't like me bringing it home.

#13 ·
in which case as a sole proprietor you dont need a business wide product
see what you can do with disabling the HP tools

meanwhile I will think of other issues - it maybe a virus/malware on the PC blocking

When did this start to occur

can you do a system restore to a date before the issue began at all ?

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Choose a different restore point
  • Click Next
  • put a tick in Show more restore points
  • Pick a Date before this happened
  • Click Next
This should restore the PC to that time & date

you may need to use safemode to do the restore. As the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu will appear - choose safemode

windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

#14 ·
1. This started just a few days ago, out of the blue - Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Unfortunately, I only have four restore points, all of which are since the problem arose. I created one before removing Norton, and it created three itself: there was a Windows thing ("critical update") apparently, another when I installed Safari, and also when the latest iTunes update installed itself - each created a new point and (I assume) deleted an old one. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have made more space available for such things, but that's not much help now (although it is a lesson learned).

Is there a chance I will have anything like this saved in the cloud? I probably chose a "standard" backup, and wouldn't really know where to look. I think I'm clutching at straws with that one though.

2. I can't see an easy way to disable HP Protect Tools without removing them. I'll keep looking. (edited after the PS at the end)

3. Malwarebytes has run half a dozen scans since this started without finding anything (except a tracking cookie on the first run), including one just now. Is it worth trying another scanner? Do you recommend anyone else's product?

Stuart

PS. I went into System Configutation and there is nothing from HP or indeed anything that looks remotely like HP Protect Anything in the Startup Tab.

#15 ·
what about the process tab ?

on the restore - did you click on show more restore points?

also - goto control panel - programs - uninstall programs
is HP protect tools there

i'll see if anyone else from the malware forum know about the HP protect tools - but it may take a while to receive an answer

#16 ·
If you mean under "Services", there were three (3) HP lines. I've disabled those and rebooted, but that's made no difference.

I clicked for more restore points - there weren't any. As someone who backs up data religously, realising I have neglected this aspect of backing up hurts more than just a bit.

There are several lines of HP stuff in the uninstall section. Several refer to my printer, I think (which is working fine), but one or two are clearly security things. The obvious one - HP Protect Tools Security Manager - allows me to repair it. I ran that and it said it was "successfully installed". It hasn't resolved the issue though.

#20 ·
If I put it into the Safari browser, I get the Google homepage.

If I fire up Chrome, it says "This webpage is not available", the same error I get with everything else.

Firefox is the same. The exact message is: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 83.255.235.38

If you're about out of ideas, there's not much hope I fear. I'll give it a day in case anything new pops up via Malwarebytes and/or your contacts on that front, but then I'll try uninstalling/removing everything HP related and see what happens. If that fails, I'll have to go back to the system backup I did not so long ago on 4 DVDs, which I assume includes wiping the hard drive (although I'm not sure).

I won't lose any data, but the amount of time it will take to set everything up again horrifies me. The last time I had to do that - the best part of 10 years ago, I think - I got up at around 05.00 and finished just after midnight. There are better ways to spend days in the summer. :(

#21 ·
#22 ·
None of that worked, I'm afraid.

IE gave me the option to "Fix connection problems", which of course I took. However, "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem", unfortunately. Chrome and Firefox gave me the same error messages as before.

I did indeed install Safari after the problem arose. The pattern seems to be that it's an "old" browser. I tried uninstalling Firefox and Chrome and then reinstalling them - that didn't help. An entirely new browser for me (Opera) didn't work either, yet the "old" Safari does all the basic stuff without issue. However, I can't use it for certain things I use every day, both work and private stuff, because it simply won't work properly for some websites.

Thanks again, Wayne, I appreciate all you've done. At least I know I wasn't missing something obvious myself!

Stuart

#24 ·
Yikes!

Thanks for the warning. I'd assumed removing that was a simple 5-10 minute job. I'll have a serious stab at it tonight - failing that, will have another go tomorrow morning.

If it's not fixed by this time tomorrow I think I'll go back to my DVD backup of "the system" and reinstall that - it will be interesting to see how well it works.

#25 ·
If your browsers are working in Safe Mode with Networking, there's definitely an application interfering in Normal Mode.

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

Ignore the message about the Hosts file.

You can either download the program in Safe Mode with Networking or use a working computer and a USB flash drive to copy the program to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next,

1- Run HijackThis again, or simply click on the Main Menu button.

2- Click on Open The Misc Tools section from the Main Menu.

3- Click on Open Uninstall Manager.

4- Click on Save list...

5- Save the text file to the desktop.

6- Copy and paste the log from Notepad into your next reply.

#26 ·
Hi There, and thanks for joining the quest to save my sanity - I appreciate it!

Here's the logfile as requested - I hope you can spot something amiss there. I have, as I'm sure you can tell, booted up normally.

I've not fixed anything, nor will I do anything with this machine at all now until I hear from you. I was out of ideas two days ago, and in my world the only option that's left is to - in effect - format the drive. If you can save me that job I will be eternally gratefully.

Thanks...

Stuart

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 21:50:29, on 09/08/2014
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.9600.17207)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DPAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\Version9\TeamViewer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fitbit Connect\Fitbit Connect.exe
C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Safari\Safari.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Safari\Apple Application Support\WebKit2WebProcess.exe
C:\Users\Stuart\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = www.google.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
O3 - Toolbar: LastPass Toolbar - {9f6b5cc3-5c7b-4b5c-97af-19dec1e380e5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\LastPass\LPToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Fitbit Connect] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fitbit Connect\Fitbit Connect.exe" /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = Stuart\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Install LastPass FF RunOnce.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\lpuninstall.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Install LastPass IE RunOnce.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\lpuninstall.exe
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Print - {22CC3EBD-C286-43aa-B8E6-06B115F74162} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Smart Print 2.0\smartprintsetup.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: HP Smart Print - {22CC3EBD-C286-43aa-B8E6-06B115F74162} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Smart Print 2.0\smartprintsetup.exe
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll,-103 - {25510184-5A38-4A99-B273-DCA8EEF6CD08} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\NCLauncherFromIE.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll,-102 - {25510184-5A38-4A99-B273-DCA8EEF6CD08} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\NCLauncherFromIE.exe
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: LastPass - {43699cd0-e34f-11de-8a39-0800200c9a66} - C:\Program Files (x86)\LastPass\LPToolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: LastPass - {43699cd0-e34f-11de-8a39-0800200c9a66} - C:\Program Files (x86)\LastPass\LPToolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{73B2AA40-C13C-4BBF-8556-D220E1DAFF8E}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
O18 - Protocol: osf - {D924BDC6-C83A-4BD5-90D0-095128A113D1} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\MSOSB.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\Windows\Jaksta\AC\x86\jaudcap.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: DeviceNP - DeviceNP.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Computer Backup (MyPC Backup) (BackupStack) - Just Develop It - C:\Program Files (x86)\MyPC Backup\BackupStack.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: CleanMyPC Watcher (CleanMyPCService) - MacPaw Inc. - C:\Program Files\CleanMyPC\CleanMyPCService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service (cphs) - Intel Corporation - C:\Windows\SysWow64\IntelCpHeciSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cron Service for Prey (CronService) - Fork Ltd. - C:\Prey\platform\windows\cronsvc.exe
O23 - Service: @C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpHostW.exe,-128 (DpHost) - DigitalPersona, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpHostW.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Fitbit Data Uploader (Fitbit) - Fitbit, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Fitbit\fitbit.exe
O23 - Service: Fitbit Connect Service (Fitbit Connect) - Fitbit, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Fitbit Connect\FitbitConnectService.exe
O23 - Service: HP ProtectTools Device Locking / Auditing (FLCDLOCK) - Hewlett-Packard Company - c:\Windows\SysWOW64\flcdlock.exe
O23 - Service: GamesAppService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\WildTangent Games\App\GamesAppService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: HideMyIpSRV - Hide My IP - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hide My IP\HideMyIpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: HP Support Assistant Service - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\hpsa_service.exe
O23 - Service: File Sanitizer for HP ProtectTools (HPFSService) - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\File Sanitizer\HPFSService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Software Framework Service (hpqwmiex) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ieetwcollectorres.dll,-1000 (IEEtwCollectorService) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\IEEtwCollector.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\lbtserv.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Endpoint Encryption Agent - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Drive Encryption\EEAgent\MfeEpeHost.exe
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PDF Document Manager (pdfcDispatcher) - PDF Complete Inc - C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Complete\pdfsvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Riverbed Technology, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TeamViewer 9 (TeamViewer9) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\Version9\TeamViewer_Service.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 11835 bytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.