1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet working fine - but not a single browser will

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by HorstRadisch, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HorstRadisch

HorstRadisch Thread Starter

Hi There!

I'm not terribly technical so please bear with me. I really hope someone can help as this is driving me nuts...

I'm running Windows 7 on an HP PC wired directly into the Internet. Everything has been fine (more or less) since I bought it a year ago, but yesterday - for no obvious reason as far as I could tell - my main browser (Chrome) stopped working. I tried Firefox and IE, but they wouldn't work either.

Then I saw the Internet was still accessible - iTunes was working, Skype was working, and so on. It was just browsers. I tried reinstalling Chrome and Firefox - nothing. Using my laptop for the initial download, I installed Safari for Windows and - much to my amazement - it worked, but to go over to that permanently seems like a plaster over a major wound. And in any case, there is obviously something very wrong (although probably not terribly serious - I hope!)

Last night and this morning, I've been hunting high and low for a solution to no avail. There are threads on this site (mostly several years old and closed) too, and I think I've now tried every possibility mentioned there.

If I start up in safemode with networking, it's fine.

The only anti-virus product I had was Norton (sorry!) which I've uninstalled. I ran the removal tool twice to make sure.

I've just started work again after the summer holiday and need this machine for my job. If I take it back to the place I bought it, I can wave goodbye to it for several days I suspect. I can still use it for work and simply send files across the net via Dropbox (which is working, of course) to my laptop (which is where I'm forced to type this mail). But there are things on my PC that I can't run on my laptop.

Edited to add:
    1. A Norton virus scan before I uninstalled it found nothing other than a couple of tracking cookies.
    2. Malwarebytes scan shows nothing.
    3. A program called "CleanMyPC" has always looked after things like the registry for me, and it says everything's fine.

If anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful.

Stuart

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    which means some program is blocking access that runs in normal mode
    usually its a firewall
    are you sure no other firewalls are on the PC ?
    What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

registry cleaners can cause a lot of issues on PCs

you may need to do a clean boot and see if that works , if it does work in normal mode - then you need to put the programs back to see which one is causing the issue

perform a clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

diagnose which program is causing the issue
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

3. HorstRadisch

Hi Wayne, and thanks for the prompt reply - appreciated.

"which means some program is blocking access that runs in normal mode usually its a firewall ... are you sure no other firewalls are on the PC ?"

As far as I can tell, the only thing on the machine resembling a firewall (or indeed and anti-virus program at the moment) is Windows Defender. I disabled that to see what would happen and it made no difference.

"What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc "

The machine came with Norton pre-installed, so I went with it, especially as the licence was for three machines, meaning my other half (who is very lax on such matters) wouldn't object to having it on her laptop if it was free. It's been fine on there incidentally (and indeed on my own laptop), but I've suspected for a long time that it has been slowing down my PC.

As far as I'm aware, no other anti-anything program has ever been on here, Malwarebytes excluded.

"you may need to do a clean boot and see if that works"

I tried that and it was exactly the same. The only difference was that the other programs currently running OK (e.g. iTunes will access the iTunes Store without issue) stopped working. But when I went back to the normal boot, all was well.

Safari is working, but it's very old - I think Apple stopped supporting it 2+ years ago now, and some extensions I like (e.g. my bookmarks and passwords) won't work in it. Also, one or two websites I use a lot don't seem to run too well in it. Whether this is Safari's fault or my underlying problem's fault, I don't know.

Out of interest, I installed Opera (never tried it before) and that didn't work at all - the response was exactly the same as Chroma & Firefox. I also have everything backed up in the cloud and, for some reason, that program doesn't seem to be working properly in this environment either. They won't delete my files this side of Christmas, however, so that's not a serious issue - although of course it does mean I can't easily put new stuff up there.

Back to the issue at hand: Is there a way of starting in "safemode with networking" and THEN adding programs one by one until it falls apart? I think that will take me a while, but the idea of reformatting and then setting everything up again fills me with dread - it will take at least a day, I fear!

I will be out for most of the rest of the day now, but any other ideas you have would be most welcome. I will be able to play around with this again in the morning.

I assure you I will let you know if/when/how something works and then mark this resolved if/when (hopefully when!) the time comes.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you have removed norton using the removal tool - as stated in first post
    is that correct

Do a clean boot is NOT
    its basically doing sort of what you suggested , but not quite
    a clean boot - will stop all the start-up programs from running and then if that works - you go back and add half of them back to run again
    then if that does not work - you know its in that half - so you deselect half of those
    if not
    then you select the other half and deselect the original half - sounds complicated - but those two links should explain it all

5. HorstRadisch

Hi again - that was a seriously quick reply, so I saw it before going out. Thanks!

Yes, Norton is a thing of the past on my PC now. If it turns out that it caused this issue, as seems quite likely, I will zap it from both the laptops in the house too.

I'll get started on this late tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the help. I shall sleep better knowing you're out there!

:)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    No Problem, I'm UK based as so Time Zones and other commitments may mean a slower response - but do my best to review a couple of times a day

7. HorstRadisch

Hi Wayne

Still plugging away here - I shall soon be bald at the rate I'm tearing my hair out!

I got up this morning and first checked the machine has no traces of Norton/Symantec. It doesn't.
    Then I re-ran a Malwarebytes scan again, just in case the latest version of that turned anything up. It didn't.

Then I tried the clean boot procedure again and there is a problem even after this. Chrome, Firefox, etc. still won't open. Does this mean the issue is a Microsoft problem? The little icon in the bottom right, next to the clock, says I'm connected to the Internet, and programs that require access (e.g. iTunes Store) work just fine (even if iTunes doesn't like opening or closing properly in this mode).

So, as I understand it (and I said at the outset I'm not very technical), I'm booting up with Microsoft products only and still can't use any browsers except the outdated Safari.

Just out of interest (and to put my mind at rest somewhat), I then rebooted in safemode with networking, and can confirm that this is still working just fine.

I still can't help thinking that I must be missing something simple somewhere, but I'm starting to think that may not be the case.

Edited to add the following:
    I re-read your earlier posts, and where you mention any other security stuff I now remember seeing something called HP Protect Tools. Can they be messing anything up?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    could be
    BUT you say
    are you sure

lets try this
    in normal mode do the following three ping tests please

also check for as proxy - should not be as it works in safemode - but just incase - see below

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ping Tests
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ): ​

In the command prompt window that opens

Type the following command
    Ping {then a space and then add the number that is shown against the item labelled "default gateway" shown in the results from the ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results in a reply here
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 72.52.204.213
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

if you see on the results a
    "general Failure"
    This sometimes means a firewall issue
    What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/
    Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Remove any proxy settings
    Check your browser's settings, remove or uncheck any proxy settings if found

http://www.plus.net/support/software/browsers/proxies.shtml
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5512742_remove-proxy-server.html

Google Chrome
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96815?hl=en-GB
    This will open the Internet Explorer Properties dialogue (Windows) or the Network dialogue (Mac) where you can adjust your network settings

Firefox
    Tools>Options>Advanced>Network Tab>connections Settings... button>
    Newer release version see here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...nection-problem#w_firefox-connection-settings

9. HorstRadisch

Hi Wayne

I really appreciate your efforts here – thanks.

1. I’m able to use the HP computer that has the problem. However, the only browser that will work on it is the out-of-date Safari, but it does work for most things. I can access mail on it, and open this thread, and therefore use links, and copy & paste, and so on. I confirm it has Windows 7, which has been updated automatically since Day 1 (I think/hope).

2. I have no idea what HP Protect Tools do, but uninstalling them sounds drastic. I’ll do it if you tell me to though. Any settings there will be default ones, I imagine.

3. I confirm Windows Defender is still there. Should I disable/remove that?

4. When starting with the “clean boot”, I checked the box marked “Hide all Microsoft services” before checking the box “disable all”. So, I hope it’s only starting with MS stuff onboard when clean booting – but I don’t know how to check that is the case. Of course I will do so if you want me to (and can tell me how to).

5. “lets try this - in normal mode do the following three ping tests please”
    OK – results will follow, prefixed 5b.

5a. Since I need “the number that is shown against the item labelled "default gateway" shown in the results from the ipconfig /all” the first thing I did was run the ipconfig /all… instruction you gave. The reply came as follows (telling me my default gateway is: 192.168.0.1)
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : StuartsHP
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 88-51-FB-59-9B-33
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9940:faa9:44f9:1327%13(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.19(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 August 2014 09:55:44
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 August 2014 22:56:08
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 270843397
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-70-DC-AE-88-51-FB-59-9B-33
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{73B2AA40-C13C-4BBF-8556-D220E1DAFF8E}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

5b. Ping Tests

Here are the results of all three:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Stuart>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Users\Stuart>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [83.255.235.38] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=60
    Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=60
    Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=60
    Reply from 83.255.235.38: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 83.255.235.38:
    Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 11ms

C:\Users\Stuart>ping 72.52.204.213

Pinging 72.52.204.213 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 72.52.204.213: bytes=32 time=148ms TTL=46
    Reply from 72.52.204.213: bytes=32 time=149ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 72.52.204.213:
    Minimum = 148ms, Maximum = 149ms, Average = 148ms

C:\Users\Stuart>

Am I right in assuming that the absence of a “general failure” is good?

6. What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

I’m pretty sure that this machine has only ever had Norton Internet Security on it. It was delivered with it, and I’m 99.9% sure I’ve not been tempted to “try” anything else in the meantime. It’s only 9 months old, so I hope I would remember if anything out of the ordinary had happened regarding that.

As stated at the top of this entry, Windows Defender is still there, and from this morning you also know about “HP Protect Tools” (whatever they do), but I don’t think there is an anti-virus package anywhere to be found on the drive at the moment.

7. “also check for as proxy - should not be as it works in safemode - but just incase - see below”

a. In Chrome, I did the following:
    Settings
    Show advanced settings
    (scroll down) Change proxy settings
    click connections tab
    click LAN settings
    check all three boxes are unchecked (which they are)

b. In Firefox, I did the following:
    Options
    Network tab
    The only thing checked here was “auto detect proxy settings”. I didn’t change this.

OK, I think/hope that’s all the info you need? This is highly advanced stuff for me, and I admit I find it a bit scary. But I’ve tried to be methodical, and I hope the info given here is all OK. Obviously if you need anything else I will bend over backwards to provide it.

Thanks again Wayne.

Stuart

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, hopefully my instructios - which can quite lengthy , if followed provide a good guide what to do

the ping tests confirm that you do have internet access on that PC in normal mode and also there is not a DNS (using names in web browsers - like www.google.com)

so something is blocking access still

the clean boot you carried out - is correct and so something else is blocking

lets try the norton removal tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Norton Removal Tool
    I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time or even a third time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of norton and symantec from the PC

https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...t=Norton Core&pvid=f-core-cur&version=current
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us...&ispid=&pvid=f-core-cur&q=Norton+Removal+Tool

--------------------------------------------------------------

And a TCP/IP reset

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows Vista/Windows 7/8
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):​

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
    ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
    Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied
    This often occurs with windows 8

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  12. HorstRadisch

Hi Wayne

I ran the Norton Removal tool three times just now, rebooting between each time.

Immediately afterwards, I followed your instructions for the TCP/IP reset. Here's the copy/paste:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Stuart>netsh winsock reset catalog

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

C:\Users\Stuart>netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    Reseting Interface, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\Users\Stuart>netsh int ipv6 reset rest.log
    Reseting Interface, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\Users\Stuart>

I didn't get any error messages at any point in any of the processes.

After the final re-boot, I opened Chrome again and tried half a dozen common pages (e.g. google.com). All failed to load, giving me the message "This webpage is not available". All of them are available on my laptop, also using Chrome.

I then fired up iTunes on the HP Desktop, and immediately saw there were upgrades to apps available. I downloaded them without problem - so clearly I'm online and accessing the internet. It's just the browsers.

I'm starting to fear a "format c:" is coming .... are there any other things to try before we get there? Perhaps disabling/removing the HP Tools is worth a try?

Stuart

PS. You asked if it's a personal or business PC. The answer is a bit of both - about 80-90% personal. I'm a sole proprietor doing various language work, including freelance translation. That's a lot easier on a desktop than a laptop. But I try not to work at home if I can avoid it - my better half doesn't like me bringing it home.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in which case as a sole proprietor you dont need a business wide product
    see what you can do with disabling the HP tools

meanwhile I will think of other issues - it maybe a virus/malware on the PC blocking

When did this start to occur

can you do a system restore to a date before the issue began at all ?

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Choose a different restore point
    • Click Next
    • put a tick in Show more restore points
    • Pick a Date before this happened
    • Click Next
    This should restore the PC to that time & date

you may need to use safemode to do the restore. As the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu will appear - choose safemode

windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

14. HorstRadisch

1. This started just a few days ago, out of the blue - Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Unfortunately, I only have four restore points, all of which are since the problem arose. I created one before removing Norton, and it created three itself: there was a Windows thing ("critical update") apparently, another when I installed Safari, and also when the latest iTunes update installed itself - each created a new point and (I assume) deleted an old one. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have made more space available for such things, but that's not much help now (although it is a lesson learned).

Is there a chance I will have anything like this saved in the cloud? I probably chose a "standard" backup, and wouldn't really know where to look. I think I'm clutching at straws with that one though.

2. I can't see an easy way to disable HP Protect Tools without removing them. I'll keep looking. (edited after the PS at the end)

3. Malwarebytes has run half a dozen scans since this started without finding anything (except a tracking cookie on the first run), including one just now. Is it worth trying another scanner? Do you recommend anyone else's product?

Stuart

PS. I went into System Configutation and there is nothing from HP or indeed anything that looks remotely like HP Protect Anything in the Startup Tab.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what about the process tab ?

on the restore - did you click on show more restore points?

also - goto control panel - programs - uninstall programs
    is HP protect tools there

i'll see if anyone else from the malware forum know about the HP protect tools - but it may take a while to receive an answer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice