Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet works, but can't connect to online apps

Solved 
2K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  KhunDoug 
#1 ·
Hi, so when I open up discord or another online application, the app works, but I am not able to speak, but can hear other people talking, and when hovering over the connection status, it fluctuates from 20 ms to 5000 ms. In online games, I am able to launch the game itself, it works for a couple of seconds and then it goes offline. My download speed and online browsing works fine, but for online applications, it doesn't.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200825102245.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 24 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design 4096 MB
Hard Drives: C: 216 GB (55 GB Free); D: 931 GB (119 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-16R4, ver REV:1.0, s/n BSS-0123456789
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver MSI_NB - 1072009, s/n K2004N0014263
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#5 ·
SSID: (Wifi_Name)
Protocol: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 7
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 300/300 (Mbps)
IPv6 address: 2600:6c65:7e7f:9b2c::100e
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::1d8f:e33b:43fa:a969%15
IPv6 DNS servers: 2607:f428:ffff:ffff::1
2607:f428:ffff:ffff::2
IPv4 address: 192.168.68.131
IPv4 DNS servers: 71.10.216.1
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz
Driver version: 22.20.0.6
Physical address (MAC): D8-3B-BF-C9-3B-5F

This is my wifi information, and my network is being shared with others, and it works fine for them. Also, when I connect to a different network not associated with this one, I am able to access online services.

#3 · (Edited)
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-16R4, ver REV:1.0, s/n BSS-0123456789
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver MSI_NB - 1072009, s/n K2004N0014263
Do you have a MSI GF63 Thin 10SCSR notebook, or do you have a different model?

This particular model appears to have:
Realtek gigabit ethernet
Intel 802.11ax WiFi6 wireless

------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
According to your log, your MSI notebook has an Intel Wireless-AC 9560 802.11ac wireless device.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/99446/intel-wireless-ac-9560.html

The current Windows 10 64-bit driver for it was released in March 2021 and is version 22.40.0.7
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/30279/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?httpDown=https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30279/a08/WiFi_22.40.0_Driver64_Win10.exe

It's a dual band (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz) 802.11ac model.

According to your log, it's running in a slower 2.4 GHz mode instead of running in a faster 5.0 GHz mode.

I'm not a networking expert, so I'll leave you with the people here who are to resolve your issue.

------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
What's the name of your internet service provider(ISP)?
What upload/download speed plan do you have?
What's the brand name and model name and exact model number of your modem/router?

The networking experts here will probably need that information.
Be patient until one replies.

-------------------------------------------------

#11 ·
Okay, so we're past not being able to connect to 5 GHz. That's a step in the right direction. Now onto the remainder of the connection issues. As I reread the top of this thread, you are experiencing various levels of latency, a serious issue for online gaming. You also wrote that you do not experience this latency when connecting to a different network. So what would be useful now is to understand what all is connected to the router or access point where you are having the latency. For example, how many other devices and other people are sharing this device with you? I see the Deco units you refer to and those look to be made for wireless mesh. Are you connecting to equipment that is part of a mesh? And what type of network is the Deco gear connected to? For example, are you on a cable modem, or a cellular Internet block, or ... ?

And finally, is the other network you connect not part of your home network? For example, you connect to a friend's network and that works okay?

#18 ·
OK, From what I can tell, it has 2 Gigabit Ethernet Ports, but no wireless. I can't tell if it has a router built in. Typically cable modems doesn't have a router in it if it's just Ethernet connectivity.

You can try looking at the status page by going to https:\\192.168.100.1 and then if there is a login, user and password is the default login. If you don't see any reference to a router configuration (DHCP/LAN/etc)

But if it's not a router built in, then the most likely result is that the modem is just a modem and only one of the ports has the IP assigned. If you tried the other one when the wireless router was connected, then it's possible the ISP is not allowing more than 1 public IP.

If that is the case, then shut down the modem and the computer. Disconnect the Ethernet to the router and put it in the computer. Wait 30 seconds and turn on the modem only. Wait for the modem to show Online status and then connect the computer. Providing that you are set to DHCP on the computer, you should get one from the ISP.

#20 ·
Sorry for the late reply but after opening up multiple games and other applications, I believe I've narrowed the issue down to high packet loss. However, I don't know how to fix that. The router issue is also resolved, i forgot to update the comment.

#25 ·
I thought I did, my apologies. To clarify, I meant in another post in this thread, and I did take this laptop to my friends house and connected to the wifi there. Also nobody else in the house has this issue with their devices except for me with this one device.

#28 ·
I believe I don't, but i can send a screenshot of my tasks if you want to confirm.
Would you please open Task Manager, go to the Performance tab, and click on the appropriate adapter - whatever adapter you are connecting thru. Let Task Manager run for a few minutes and see if the usage shows sustained inbound or outbound traffic.

The perplexing thing is that you only experience this at your house, and regardless of how you are connecting - wireless and wired. When you take the PC to another house, you don't experience this problem. That puts the focus on something particular to your house and your PC.

#32 ·
So all the testing on your end revealed that others in your house are not having Internet trouble, and your own PC works correctly on someone else's home network. Additionally, you have eliminated the wireless in your house as a part of the problem because you cabled direct to your cable modem, the TC4400. Even if the problem was caused by someone else's PC in your house, the problem would stop when you cabled direct to the cable modem. The problem persists on wired and wireless at your house. If you had something on the PC that was doing bandwidth limiting, it's unlikely it would be working at your house but not when you use that same PC at a friend's house. What else remains ... ???

From what I read, Discord and Zoom use UDP for voice. UDP is one direction without delivery confirmation. That means dropped packets are lost, so you'll have voice drops, skipped frames, and the like.

Couriant might have some ideas, but I think you need to get the ISP involved. The problem could actually be something with equipment on their end and nothing at all wrong with your PC and the gear in your house. Others in your house have no trouble.

#33 ·
So after going to network adapters, and disabling ipv6 protocol on my network adapter, everything appears to be working fine. I tried disabling ipv4 and enabling ipv6 does not work, so I can assume the problem is with ipv6. I think the problem is resolved, but I'm not sure why disabling ipv6 works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.