1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet works, but not IE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zily, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zily

zily Thread Starter

hey,

im running a cable connection hooked up through a lan and a router.

yesterday i turned on my computer, tried to get on the web, but Internet explorer wasn't working properly. In fact, it wasn't working at all. For every website i tried, it would tell me The page cannot be displayed.

i removed my network connections, seeing if a reinstall woould work, but it didn't. So i downloaded netscape in order to find a solution.

Everything else works: aim, kazaa, netscape, outlook express
    but not IE.

any ideas?

-daniel

2. BillC

BillC

If you are able to get to the internet with Netscape, that tells me your connection is good. Perhaps you should try repairing IE. Here is a helpful page.

Here is the Microsoft page on repairing IE.

3. zily

zily Thread Starter

ok i removed internet explorer from the change/remove programs, (well, it said internet explorer, and had some random numbers after it). I also changed the key in the registry to that it would think it wasn't installed at all (from 1 to 0).

earlier it wasn't letting me continue the installation (after i downloaded the 7mb file that the 500k manager downloads for me). It said the program hadn't passed some test.

so i decided to boot in to safe mode and see if i can install it when logged in as an administrator.

[edit]
    no, it won't let me install it because it hadn't passed the windows xp test thingy. Damnit.
    [/edit]

4. zily

zily Thread Starter

ok it randomly started working again after several failed attempts at installing it.

another thing i did was i went to add/remove windows components, and although it didn't look like it did anything, i unchecked then checked again the box for IE.

weird.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice