1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet works but "one-way mirror" network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cadence117, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cadence117

cadence117 Thread Starter

I've had a network up and running for a good while (2 computers hardwired to a netgear MR814v2 router). Recently I have added a third computer, but through a wireless connection ( usb400 11mbps usb).

Everything is good as far as internet connection goes, and the original computers can see and navigate through the shared folders of the Wirless connection, However, when I'm on the Wireless computer, I can't see the other computers. I can see the original shared folders, but when i click them to navigate, It gives me a inaccesible error (either don't have permission, or network path does not exist). I can ping any internet address, along with the other computers on the network.

Any Ideas?

ps. I've tried reinstalling the network configurations on all the computers.
    ***all comps running xp

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

If your two original PCs are Windows2000 or XP, then they will not allow access to shared resources unless they either a) have the username and password of the third computer in their user accounts, or b) have the Guest Account enabled for anonymous access.

3. cadence117

..ok, i'm feeling noobulous...
    just how would i do part a for that solution

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For example, on the XP computer you are logging on with a user name and password. That same acccount needs to be created on the Windows2000 computer as well.

Do the same for the WindowsXP computer

5. cadence117

all the computers are running xp.
    2 of them are hard-wired (cat5) to my router,
    and the other one (the one that can't navigate over through shared folders) is a wireless connection.

Can you translate the above post for me

edit:
    actually, I went ahead and put all accounts onto all the computers, and i'm still getting the error. I feel like there is something i need to change on the router's firmware. Any other ideas you guys have?

6. insolent

insolent

I've got the exact same set up as cadence117, 2 original computers, one with 2000, other with XP Pro (heck, I think we even have the same router), but the new wireless addition is running XP Home Ed. I've never had XP Home and am wondering if it is even possible to create a similar User Account on the XP Home machine. Does XP home allow multiple users? If not, will enabling the Guest Account fix this? And what potential security issues exist with a guest acct in terms of people outside the network?

Thx in advance

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can create additional users with the Home version exactly the same way as the Pro - Control Panel / User Accounts.

I would not recommend turning on the Guest account. This creates a security risk giving people access to your computer. As a test maybe but certainly not to leave it that way.

8. cadence117

but i created the identical accounts and it still is not working (same error). The hard wired computers are home ed, and the wireless is professional. Please help me. The wireless one is my carputer (mp3car.com) and i really need the network to work properly.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you open up a command prompt (start / run / cmd)
    The map an drive - net use x: \\server\share
    where x: is the drive letter
    server is the other computer
    share is the name of something that is being shared on the other computer,

what errors do you get.

Also, I am assuming all the accounts have non-blank passwords.

10. cadence117

they all have blank passwords

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Pretty sure the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access. This can be changed through the Group Policy Editor.

12. cadence117

But its not even working like that,

When i'm on the computer with xp pro (the wireless one) I can't navigate through the shared folders on the other two hardwired computers.

The error is this \\Exavier\myshared is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network rescource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

In the original post it mentioned "I can't see the other computers. I can see the original shared folders"

So you can't see the other computers on the network in network neighborhood.

What happens if you try and map a drive from a cmd prompt. Then you don't need to rely on browsing. Please give the exact error message.

14. cadence117

i CAN see the computers on the network neighborhood (sorry for that misunderstanding)

But when i click on them I get the error i posted above:

\\Exavier\myshared is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network rescource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

when i try mapping the drive in cmd it says "the network name cannot be found"

all the other computers show the exact same shared folders with the exact same paths, but when i try to double click on any from the wireless computer it gives me the permission error

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is the setting for simple file sharing.

Did the default setting for NetBIOS over TCP/IP get changed in the advanced WINS settings. What is it set for. Hopefully none of the computers have this changed to disabled.

What are the computer names and the workgroup name

See if Winsock2 is damaged and repair if necessary:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#winsock2

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice