1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet works fine...until going through router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by louisj23, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

This is weird.
    Cable internet works fine when I go straight from the modem to the computer ethernet port.
    However, if I do anything through a router I can barely get a signal or a connection even to google.
    Here's what I've tried so far....
    I have a Belkin45 Router and a Netgear WGR614 Router
    I have gone straight from the cable modem through each router into the ethernet port of the computer...nothing
    I have gone from the modem to the router and used my Netgear wireless USB and I get a signal from the router, I scan the network and find the router no problem but still can not connect to the internet. Did this with each router and found each one no problem.
    I have tried 6 different cables
    I keep getting server not found or time outs.
    Like I said, weird.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Let's try this with either of the routers:

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

3. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

Yeah, sorry I should have put all that info in.
    Modem: SURFboard SB3100 Cable Modem
    Connection : Wired directly to computer from modem works fine
    Wireless using WGR614v5 Netgear router and WPN111 wireless USB the router is identified on the computer through the Netgear smart Wizard and it's a good connection but no able to access the internet. Wireless I'm using WEP protection
    This problem just started a few days ago out of nowhere for no reason. Now this also happens with 2 other routers but I'm sticking with the netgear.
    I have gone through the Netgear smart wizard for the router about 15 times and have set it to obtain IP addresses/DSNs/Gateway IP automatically as well as manually entering them.
    Only one time did it pick up a connection but then I lost it. That is how it was going when I was surfing the net with the wireless, occasionally I would get on but it was only after 20 attempts just to get on to google!
    I have reset the router
    I have been doing this with the computer on but I'm going to give it a shot off now, doubt that'll do it though.

4. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

or it will.
    I am not going to mark this as solved yet though until I have it going all day without error.
    As I said I have gotten shorts periods of internet time and this may be one of them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/639269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice