1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet works on all computers but one after resetting the router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hell7, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hell7

hell7 Thread Starter

Okay, my situation is quite complex, but I'll try my best to explain every possible factor.
    First, we hadn't have the WEP key on our Linksys wireless router, so we decided, about a month ago, that it was a good idea to lock our wireless connection. So we did. For a couple of weeks, everything worked just fine. But then we bought a new printer, which happened to be a wireless network printer, and in the process of installing it, we mistook the reset button (I think) on the router for some other button and ended up resetting the router. When we did that, we undid WEP key, thereby unlocking the router. Then, we locked the router again, at which point one of our computers--which happens to be mine--ended up not working. All other computers and phones and iPads work just fine, but this one laptop of mine just doesn't work (with respect to wireless internet connections, of course).
    And I have tried the following methods:
    - pressing the reset button on the router again. It kind of works. The internet works for about five or ten minutes (which is unbearably annoying because I have to reconnect it every five minutes), but my computer somehow disconnects itself from the internet connection. Also, although the internet technically "works," the wireless network icon thing on the bottom right of the screen has an "X" on it, which I thought meant the internet is not working, but it apparently doesn't, because my internet is working now. And, if I click the icon, it says that I'm not connected, but, again, the internet works. (for about 5~10 minutes, if I unlock the router)
    - changing the internet protocol information (I don't think it does anything, but.)
    - changing the wireless internet connection property to WPA, WPA-PSK... everything.

Here a summary for those who don't wanna read.
    *All computers in the house have wireless internet connections but mine.
    *When I reset the router, the internet works, although the computer says it isn't connected, and it disconnects itself every 5 or 10 minutes.

PS. I don't know if this information is pertinent at all, but my laptop is a Windows XP.

This problem has been going on about four days, and I'm about to completely lose my sanity. I need to finish a report tonight. Please help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For when you have internet access and for when you do not ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. hell7

hell7 Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : samsung-b6e15f8
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter 로컬 영역 연결:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
    rnet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-77-3B-5C-83

Ethernet adapter 무선 네트워크 연결:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-9E-3B-6E-06
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.108
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 2013년 2월 28일 목요일 오전 11:51:57

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 2013년 3월 1일 금요일 오전 11:51:57

Yes, some of them are in Korean. If you need them translated, please let me know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice