Internet Zones Changing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gaby38

Hi all,

I noticed that the indicator for Internet Zones at the bottom right corner of my browser changes to "Local Intranet" when I visit certain sites. My computer is totally a standalone, I don't have any other computers at home, so there's no reason for it to be part of a "local" web.
Does this sound fishy to you?, should I be concerned of a possible hacker/hijack, or am I just being paranoid?

Any and all comments appreciated.

Start by going to Tools/Internet options/security; click 'local intranet', then sites/advanced to see what sites are listed..for a standalone there should not be any. Something may have hacked the registry. I hear AOL has a habit of putting itself in the 'trusted sites' domain.

gaby38

Thank you very much for your response.
I did what you suggested. No sites listed there. It was blank.

So now I'm concerned. Any other ideas??. I'll run a trojan, virus, and spyware scan and tell you if I found anything.

Thanks again!

As Tonto says...'Ummmm...that plenty strange'....
I haven't noticed this happening but I'll watch for it ; might be a quirk in IE 6.
You've got the right idea on running a spyware scan; if that comes up clean you're probably OK.

gaby38

Thanks again.

I performed a spyware and virus scan yesterday. The virus scan was clean and the spyware had a couple of nasties that I get relatively frequently, like Advertising.com and Avenue A. Other than that nothing extraordinary.

I'll run a trojan scan today and see what happens.

By the way, I'm running IE 5.5.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online