1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Zones Changing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gaby38, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaby38

gaby38 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I noticed that the indicator for Internet Zones at the bottom right corner of my browser changes to "Local Intranet" when I visit certain sites. My computer is totally a standalone, I don't have any other computers at home, so there's no reason for it to be part of a "local" web.
    Does this sound fishy to you?, should I be concerned of a possible hacker/hijack, or am I just being paranoid?

Any and all comments appreciated.

2. Perfesser

Perfesser

Start by going to Tools/Internet options/security; click 'local intranet', then sites/advanced to see what sites are listed..for a standalone there should not be any. Something may have hacked the registry. I hear AOL has a habit of putting itself in the 'trusted sites' domain.

3. gaby38

gaby38 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your response.
    I did what you suggested. No sites listed there. It was blank.

So now I'm concerned. Any other ideas??. I'll run a trojan, virus, and spyware scan and tell you if I found anything.

Thanks again!

4. Perfesser

Perfesser

As Tonto says...'Ummmm...that plenty strange'....
    I haven't noticed this happening but I'll watch for it ; might be a quirk in IE 6.
    You've got the right idea on running a spyware scan; if that comes up clean you're probably OK.

5. gaby38

gaby38 Thread Starter

Thanks again.

I performed a spyware and virus scan yesterday. The virus scan was clean and the spyware had a couple of nasties that I get relatively frequently, like Advertising.com and Avenue A. Other than that nothing extraordinary.

I'll run a trojan scan today and see what happens.

By the way, I'm running IE 5.5.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice